SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Length of line behind ball

7/12/20 @ 2:14 PM
INITIAL POST
Johne3692
User since 7/12/20

So in the Sturgeon Bay area for salmon/rainbows in what I assume is fairly clear water what length of line do most people let out behind the ball for spoons/or flasher/flies. Been getting mixed messages on this from anywhere from 10 to 60 feet. I fish alot by myself so hard to learn except ask questions and read. Thanks !

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
7/28/20 @ 10:03 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

"Lots of factors involved"...Some still use metal dodgers and flies instead of plastic paddles. I still like to keep the metal ones on a shorter drop back because longer leads seem to reduce the action with shock absorbing mono in front of them. The 100 rule sounds good for spoons, to me. Deep tangles with fly rigs are a pain. Thump is right about factors involved. You might try this thread in the Great Lakes section too.

7/23/20 @ 12:14 PM
swamphunter
swamphunter
User since 2/12/02

Many guys use the "100" rule and it's pretty productive.   example: If fishing 40 down go back 60.   If 80 down go back 20...etc...     I use this method with good results on both spoons and FF combos.      

7/23/20 @ 7:06 AM
garebear77
PRO MEMBER User since 12/5/19

WHat I have been told the deeper your run the ball the shorter the length.  I wouldnt do under 25-30 feet though.  I try to run 30-40 at most depths.  

7/22/20 @ 7:31 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Lots of factors involved...depth of ball, number of riggers, stacking riggers, lure (F/F, meat or spoon), species targeted, other rods in the spread, time of day, etc.

With multiple riggers and stacking, your leads get somewhat determined by the set-up.

If you are fishing alone where a single rigger will be by itself, you have more freedom on lead length and just have to experiment.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE