SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Launch Fees

3/30/20 @ 10:00 AM
INITIAL POST
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Any suggestions for local communities to reduce or eliminate launching fees for Lakes in Wi. Also have found signs on some lakes stating ANY CRAFT launching fees! That should eliminate claims by kayaker’s or canoe fishermen that they can launch for free!

Displaying 16 to 28 of 28 posts
4/1/20 @ 10:30 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18
I'll add that most places I've seen have a different fee schedule based on what you're doing.  Usually trailers have higher fees than carry ins, and some larger boats have higher fees, yet.  We could get further into it... why should I pay non-resident fees when I live 5 minutes away from a launch that a resident might live 20 minutes from (as a hypothetical)?  I don't pretend to know why fees are set how they are, but we could come up with ideas all day of how to adjust payments.  If a launch isn't being kept up, contact the city.  If nothing is done, make sure they know that you are taking your money elsewhere.
4/1/20 @ 7:47 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

I'm sorry if this hurts someone's feelings,  but boat, canoe or kayak if you use the ramp, access the water or just park in the lot, you should pay the fee. You are using the facility. Just because you have a kayak doesn't mean you should be exempt from fees.

4/1/20 @ 3:37 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have no problem paying a launch fee IF (there's always that IF...) the launch is well-maintained. It seems that a lot of municipalities use the launch fee as a revenue generator instead of putting that money back into the launch/facilities. I once paid $10 for a daily launch, backed my boat in and WHAM! trailer falls off the end of the concrete ramp and scuffs the #&*! out of the underside of my trailer! I was HOT! I was able to float the boat off and wade out to lift up on the back of my trailer while my buddy pulled the truck out. There was a 2 foot drop-off at the end of the concrete ramp (which was a shallow launch with too short of a ramp to begin with), but due to stained water you couldn't see it. There was a huge 'No Power Loading' sign next to the ramp, no one could miss it. The best part (most infuriating for me) is when I called the municipality listed on the sign at the launch, they confirmed someone called to report the ramp having that large hole the summer before!? My point is...if you're going to charge a premium launch fee, the facilities better reflect the fee. I cannot count the number of times I've paid a launch fee to find garbage cans overflowing (sometimes with rotten fish remains), bathrooms with no toilet paper, messed up ramps, potholes in the parking lot, broken docks, etc. My favorite is getting a parking citation when there are no self-registration envelopes in the pay station or the electronic kiosk is not turned on...hello? How exactly am I supposed to pay?! Again, I have no problem paying, but at least make an honest effort to ensure facilities are usable and that you aren't causing damage to the property of those trying to use the resource.

3/31/20 @ 6:31 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I used to only go to lakes with no launch fees, but then I decided to expand my horizons (currently trying to catch a fish in every lake in Waukesha County).  For the kayakers (which I am now one of them), I see where you're coming from that the only resource you are using is a parking space.  The way I look at it is you aren't paying for the parking lot, you are paying for the privilege of accessing the water at that location. Don't want to pay the fee?  Find somewhere else to access it. I've fished plenty of lakes with free access and beautiful launches, and double-digit fees for some of the crummiest launches I've ever seen.  It all balances out.

3/31/20 @ 3:16 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

I would not complain about paying a 5 or $10 to launch my boat. Cheapest entertainment around and you can have fun all day long, that's a deal to me.

3/31/20 @ 10:30 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I agree, no problem paying launch fee's to help maintain the facilities. There are lot's of "upkeep" costs to the launch areas so I understand the need. I purchase the Brown County seasonal which covers most of lower GB including the river launches and the Tri- County for 'bago that covers 8 launches around the lake. For $85 a year I'm covered about anywhere I would go.

Oh, and kayaks are using the facilities as well. The only thing you may not do is back them in the water. Pavements, garbage, bathrooms, landscape, enforcement and any number of things are costs of the launch.

3/31/20 @ 10:16 AM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

I don't have any problem paying for launch fees.  $5-10 per day, and $40 per annual.  Just have to make the annual fee easier to pay/display.  Any of the free launches are either too busy, or not enough parking, so I typically avoid them.  

Not sure how you get the launch funded without charging boaters though.  

3/30/20 @ 5:42 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Post was 2 parts,State waves fees for state parks during virus restrictions, why not launches ? Second part was if you use the resource pay the same fees others pay to use the resource,doesn’t matter where you park,it is the Access to the water body you are using.Glad they changed the wording to water craft on signs!

3/30/20 @ 5:11 PM
Buydontselle
User since 6/10/17

Are you asking "How communities can raise funds to pay for boat launch maintenance without having to collect boat launch fees?" 

Otherwise... This is a interesting questions for me. I will gladly drive 5-10 minutes extra to use a different launch on the same body of water to not pay launch fees. As a kayak angler I also get frustrated if I have to pay for access when the only resource at the boat launch that I am using is a parking space. Especially if there is parking that is not designated for trailer usage. I think entrance fees are a much easier cost for folks to grasp imo compared to boat launch fee. 

We could also just create a generalized natural resources tax or sales tax so everyone who uses the outdoors pay and contributes the same as hunters, anglers and other resource uses whom may pay into Pittman-Robinson or State Parks/Trails. That'll never happen but it would be the easier way to raise vastly larger sums of money for natural resources related costs. 

3/30/20 @ 10:11 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

If they are taking a parking spot, sounds fair!

Displaying 16 to 28 of 28 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE