Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Launch Fees

3/30/20 @ 10:00 AM
ORIGNAL POST
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Any suggestions for local communities to reduce or eliminate launching fees for Lakes in Wi. Also have found signs on some lakes stating ANY CRAFT launching fees! That should eliminate claims by kayaker’s or canoe fishermen that they can launch for free!

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 28 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/2/20 @ 2:40 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Certainly no hate here for the kayak/canoe folks.  I grew up in a canoe, recently got a kayak.  I guess at the end of the day, regardless of what you believe the fee is for, it's still there.  To quote Little John from the classic Robin Hood Men in Tights, "A toll is a toll and a roll is a roll.  And if we get no tolls, then we don't eat no rolls."  

My gripe is more for the DNR website not updating information about fees.  Nothing more frustrating than going to a new spot that the website says has no fee, only to find out it does and you don't have cash on you.  Or the fee has changed from the website information.

4/1/20 @ 10:39 PM
wskiph
wskiph
MEMBER since 9/3/11

In regard to launching ..is it the launch or the experience on the water...fees are here. Unavoidable unless you choose other water...conditions at the launch very alot and uncontrollable...Best just deal with it and enjoy  yr time on the water...if you cant afford it ...dont doit simple...

Been dealing with these issues fr 50 yrs. It dont get better...doesn't hinder my enjoying the time on the water

4/1/20 @ 9:36 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

Kayaks are using the boat launch not just parking. Otherwise how do they get the kayaks into the water. I think some of the fees are getting a little high. Mainly the Lake Michigan launch’s going to at least 10 bucks. With a smaller boat allot of days the lake gets to rough by the afternoon. Meaning it’s 10 bucks for a morning of fishing.  Plus many of these harbors make a bunch of money renting boat slips out.

4/1/20 @ 8:33 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

I believe the launchs are free, its a parking fee.

4/1/20 @ 8:17 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Not starting an argument but I disagree with the “kayaks/canoer’s don’t fully use the facilities” statement. They park they’re vehicle there, use the dock, put their garbage in the garbage cans and use the porta potty. Basically the only thing they aren’t doing is parking a trailer there. No hate towards kayakers, canoers or boaters just sayin....

4/1/20 @ 7:57 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

I don't under stand the hate for Kayakers and canoe fishman using launches...sorry but if they carry or wheel a small non motorized boat the fee should be waived or reduced as they don't fully use the facilities.  
or they could make a area off to the side to launch small boats they don't need a launch anyways just a open spot would be fine.  

Or the big boat guys could stop whining and get a kayak if they don't like paying big fees to launch big boats.... Just saying..... 

A fair solution would be to have a parking fee(parking use of porta potty) and then reduce the launch fee a bit for those that actually use it.

4/1/20 @ 6:49 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

No negative feelings towards you at all, but the fees go to Care of launch for Wisconsin lakes. If you didn’t have borders, these separate fees wouldn’t be necessary. What’s your point? 

4/1/20 @ 10:30 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18
I'll add that most places I've seen have a different fee schedule based on what you're doing.  Usually trailers have higher fees than carry ins, and some larger boats have higher fees, yet.  We could get further into it... why should I pay non-resident fees when I live 5 minutes away from a launch that a resident might live 20 minutes from (as a hypothetical)?  I don't pretend to know why fees are set how they are, but we could come up with ideas all day of how to adjust payments.  If a launch isn't being kept up, contact the city.  If nothing is done, make sure they know that you are taking your money elsewhere.

4/1/20 @ 7:47 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

I'm sorry if this hurts someone's feelings,  but boat, canoe or kayak if you use the ramp, access the water or just park in the lot, you should pay the fee. You are using the facility. Just because you have a kayak doesn't mean you should be exempt from fees.

4/1/20 @ 3:37 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have no problem paying a launch fee IF (there's always that IF...) the launch is well-maintained. It seems that a lot of municipalities use the launch fee as a revenue generator instead of putting that money back into the launch/facilities. I once paid $10 for a daily launch, backed my boat in and WHAM! trailer falls off the end of the concrete ramp and scuffs the #&*! out of the underside of my trailer! I was HOT! I was able to float the boat off and wade out to lift up on the back of my trailer while my buddy pulled the truck out. There was a 2 foot drop-off at the end of the concrete ramp (which was a shallow launch with too short of a ramp to begin with), but due to stained water you couldn't see it. There was a huge 'No Power Loading' sign next to the ramp, no one could miss it. The best part (most infuriating for me) is when I called the municipality listed on the sign at the launch, they confirmed someone called to report the ramp having that large hole the summer before!? My point is...if you're going to charge a premium launch fee, the facilities better reflect the fee. I cannot count the number of times I've paid a launch fee to find garbage cans overflowing (sometimes with rotten fish remains), bathrooms with no toilet paper, messed up ramps, potholes in the parking lot, broken docks, etc. My favorite is getting a parking citation when there are no self-registration envelopes in the pay station or the electronic kiosk is not turned on...hello? How exactly am I supposed to pay?! Again, I have no problem paying, but at least make an honest effort to ensure facilities are usable and that you aren't causing damage to the property of those trying to use the resource.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 28 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.