SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Launch Fees

3/30/20 @ 10:00 AM
INITIAL POST
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Any suggestions for local communities to reduce or eliminate launching fees for Lakes in Wi. Also have found signs on some lakes stating ANY CRAFT launching fees! That should eliminate claims by kayaker’s or canoe fishermen that they can launch for free!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
4/3/20 @ 7:08 PM
forspencers
User since 1/30/08

with all the prices associated with enjoying a simple outdoor sport, I hate launch fees. you travel out of town, support the local businesses, then get to the ramp, and still more fees. they keep with fee after fee, and want us to keep thinking its good for the right to enjoy the sport, so we buy right into it no matter what they keep charging us. I thought boat ramps, and lake management was controlled thru purchasing a license, and other taxes associated with outdoor sports.

4/3/20 @ 5:48 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

I started this thread because TV fishing shows say Minnesota a has NO Launch fees!Says a lot what they think of their fishermen!Personally I am not against reasonable launch fees.Some are getting out of line.In Milwaukee,South Shore is a Dump, McKinely is a zoo,and Bender is a crap shoot to get in and out at times.Along with lakes in Walworth Cty. Some of most expensive in the area $11.25 at last count.Private places can charge whatever they want,it is their business.Places I go up State , $3-$5 very reasonable! They value the fishermen and the money the generate for the local economy.From what I see in the responses about other craft, most agree, if you are using the resource pay the fee, plain and simple .

4/3/20 @ 10:25 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

I thought this thread might be interesting? Started on page 3 and got disgusted. Sounded too much like rifle hunters against crossbow users.   

4/3/20 @ 9:17 AM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

DNR landings  - no fee.  County landings-fee's to maintain, no money anymore from the state so they say.  Times are changing.  Prices vary with counties.

4/2/20 @ 9:59 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

For the bad launches, I try to remember to actually check the condition before launching so I can be aware of any holes to avoid and pick a different lane if available.  

We can also do our part by not power loading our boats onto the trailer.  All that prop wash blows the bottom out, causing the holes in the first place.  I realize that doesn't help the argument for kayakers paying for the damage motors do, but we can all help maintain the area.  Clean your garbage, carpool from a meet point, use the winch instead of the motor, etc.  And if you see an issue, contact whoever controls the launch so it can be addressed.  They can't fix problems they don't know about.

4/2/20 @ 6:51 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

As long as the launch is well maintained  . Years back I launched at the west end of Pewaukee  . When I backed the trailer in after fishing one tire fell into a hole underwater and snapped of my bunk  .

4/2/20 @ 1:27 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I'm from La Crosse and this year they went to having to pay a fee or permit simply to park at a boat ramp.  I get why they did it, as in Summer many park at boat landings to meet friends and lots get full.  The thing is this is year round so for instance ice fishing season you would need a permit to park in a lot, which I don't really see the need for.  I paid the yearly pass fee even though I don't have a boat as I figured if I use it 4 or more times it would be worth it, either ice fishing, launching my kayak, or meeting a friend at the landing, but I can see this being an issue at times of year.  

4/2/20 @ 11:16 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Kayaks use the facilities just as much as someone launching a boat.  So what if they don't place their trailer into the water, they're still using the same area as the boats!  Most lakes around me have a "lake access fee" not a "boat launch fee" and I think that's the way it should be!  Pay to park your vehicle and use the facilities, whether you're launching a boat, kayak, canoe, 30 foot boat or an 8 foot boat.  It costs money to keep the facilities up and I think it's very reasonable to pay a few bucks.  Even in the winter time at the lakes near me you still have to pay.  You're parking your vehicle and accessing the lake there, that's fair to charge a fee for that!
4/2/20 @ 10:04 AM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Doesn't sound like there are many people here who have a problem with fees for launching/parking.  That is good in my opinion.  

We aren't looking to spend more of our hard earned $$, but I think we can all agree a good boat launch with ample parking and maintained restrooms is worth paying for.  

4/2/20 @ 2:40 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Certainly no hate here for the kayak/canoe folks.  I grew up in a canoe, recently got a kayak.  I guess at the end of the day, regardless of what you believe the fee is for, it's still there.  To quote Little John from the classic Robin Hood Men in Tights, "A toll is a toll and a roll is a roll.  And if we get no tolls, then we don't eat no rolls."  

My gripe is more for the DNR website not updating information about fees.  Nothing more frustrating than going to a new spot that the website says has no fee, only to find out it does and you don't have cash on you.  Or the fee has changed from the website information.

4/1/20 @ 10:39 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

In regard to launching ..is it the launch or the experience on the water...fees are here. Unavoidable unless you choose other water...conditions at the launch very alot and uncontrollable...Best just deal with it and enjoy  yr time on the water...if you cant afford it ...dont doit simple...

Been dealing with these issues fr 50 yrs. It dont get better...doesn't hinder my enjoying the time on the water

4/1/20 @ 9:36 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

Kayaks are using the boat launch not just parking. Otherwise how do they get the kayaks into the water. I think some of the fees are getting a little high. Mainly the Lake Michigan launch’s going to at least 10 bucks. With a smaller boat allot of days the lake gets to rough by the afternoon. Meaning it’s 10 bucks for a morning of fishing.  Plus many of these harbors make a bunch of money renting boat slips out.

4/1/20 @ 8:33 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

I believe the launchs are free, its a parking fee.

4/1/20 @ 8:17 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Not starting an argument but I disagree with the “kayaks/canoer’s don’t fully use the facilities” statement. They park they’re vehicle there, use the dock, put their garbage in the garbage cans and use the porta potty. Basically the only thing they aren’t doing is parking a trailer there. No hate towards kayakers, canoers or boaters just sayin....

4/1/20 @ 7:57 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

I don't under stand the hate for Kayakers and canoe fishman using launches...sorry but if they carry or wheel a small non motorized boat the fee should be waived or reduced as they don't fully use the facilities.  
or they could make a area off to the side to launch small boats they don't need a launch anyways just a open spot would be fine.  

Or the big boat guys could stop whining and get a kayak if they don't like paying big fees to launch big boats.... Just saying..... 

A fair solution would be to have a parking fee(parking use of porta potty) and then reduce the launch fee a bit for those that actually use it.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE