LOGIN
Lake-Link

Lakes with Bowfin

8/5/21 @ 2:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Lightfoot-
USER SINCE 2/22/21

Hi all, 

I'm in central WI (Stevens Point) and am looking to get into some bowfin. Does anybody know of lakes (specifically lakes, I know the Wisconsin River is right there) in the area that have a lot of bowfin, or that have big bowfin? I'm willing to drive a ways, too, if it comes down to that. It's hard to find info on "trash fish," so I figured I'd go straight to the people. Let me know!

Thanks,

Lightfoot-

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/15/21 @ 4:42 PM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
MEMBER SINCE 12/25/01

Caught a couple of these some years back on lake Denoon.

Tossing a spinner bait for Bass.

I would imagine there's still some in there because the ones I caught were pretty big.

Denoon is not that big of a lake.

8/7/21 @ 4:32 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
USER SINCE 5/14/20

River chaser, properly cleaned and fried, they taste similar to a flathead or channel cat. Cleaning them is very similar to cleaning catfish.

8/7/21 @ 2:34 PM
15th Ave.
USER SINCE 5/7/21

I seen the comment about in slop water-sorry been a long time ago,probably 1990 caught one a good 18-20" throwing a mepps #5 orange blade/black tail had to been around Devil's Elbow area(Petenwell in your area) still backwater.Casted about a foot from cattails hit almost immediately probably a foot of water looking for pike.Was a surprise when got netted. Caught a few once in Eagles Nest Flowage west of Necedah,but been years...

8/7/21 @ 2:02 PM
waltereye sr.
USER SINCE 6/25/01

Agree on Poygan and also Beaver Dam Lake

8/7/21 @ 8:14 AM
thefishingboy
USER SINCE 9/11/04

Go to the Mississippi River in the lacrosse area. Almost impossible not to catch one fishing for bass and pike in the slop water. Also saw a kid catch a big one next to me up on Washington island fishing for smallmouth from shore which is the complete opposite from slop water

8/6/21 @ 4:01 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

what do bowfin taste like?

8/6/21 @ 3:17 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

The inside of their mouth turns blue during the spawn although I don’t know if this is true with both male and female. Like catfish they love fresh filleted golden shiners.     CARPIO 

8/6/21 @ 1:29 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
USER SINCE 5/14/20

I've caught a number of them, over the years, out of Poygan - closer to the north end of the lake. Biggest maybe 8lbs. There are certainly bigger ones in there....

8/6/21 @ 9:32 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

agree with fight better than a smallie... or just a very good fight.... my biggest probably 8lb out of Big Muskego ... they are an excellent predator and good for the ecosystem

8/6/21 @ 9:28 AM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

I agree with the Willow Flowage.   I’ve caught several there in the5-10# range Using black spinner baits in shallow 3-6’ ,weedy areas. I think they fight harder than smallies.    CARPIO 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.