MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Lakes with Bowfin

8/5/21 @ 2:28 PM
INITIAL POST
Lightfoot-
User since 2/22/21

Hi all, 

I'm in central WI (Stevens Point) and am looking to get into some bowfin. Does anybody know of lakes (specifically lakes, I know the Wisconsin River is right there) in the area that have a lot of bowfin, or that have big bowfin? I'm willing to drive a ways, too, if it comes down to that. It's hard to find info on "trash fish," so I figured I'd go straight to the people. Let me know!

Thanks,

Lightfoot-

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
8/15/21 @ 4:42 PM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

Caught a couple of these some years back on lake Denoon.

Tossing a spinner bait for Bass.

I would imagine there's still some in there because the ones I caught were pretty big.

Denoon is not that big of a lake.

8/7/21 @ 4:32 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

River chaser, properly cleaned and fried, they taste similar to a flathead or channel cat. Cleaning them is very similar to cleaning catfish.

8/7/21 @ 2:34 PM
15th Ave.
User since 5/7/21

I seen the comment about in slop water-sorry been a long time ago,probably 1990 caught one a good 18-20" throwing a mepps #5 orange blade/black tail had to been around Devil's Elbow area(Petenwell in your area) still backwater.Casted about a foot from cattails hit almost immediately probably a foot of water looking for pike.Was a surprise when got netted. Caught a few once in Eagles Nest Flowage west of Necedah,but been years...

8/7/21 @ 2:02 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Agree on Poygan and also Beaver Dam Lake

8/7/21 @ 8:14 AM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04

Go to the Mississippi River in the lacrosse area. Almost impossible not to catch one fishing for bass and pike in the slop water. Also saw a kid catch a big one next to me up on Washington island fishing for smallmouth from shore which is the complete opposite from slop water

8/6/21 @ 4:01 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

what do bowfin taste like?

8/6/21 @ 3:17 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

The inside of their mouth turns blue during the spawn although I don’t know if this is true with both male and female. Like catfish they love fresh filleted golden shiners.     CARPIO 

8/6/21 @ 1:29 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

I've caught a number of them, over the years, out of Poygan - closer to the north end of the lake. Biggest maybe 8lbs. There are certainly bigger ones in there....

8/6/21 @ 9:32 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

agree with fight better than a smallie... or just a very good fight.... my biggest probably 8lb out of Big Muskego ... they are an excellent predator and good for the ecosystem

8/6/21 @ 9:28 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I agree with the Willow Flowage.   I’ve caught several there in the5-10# range Using black spinner baits in shallow 3-6’ ,weedy areas. I think they fight harder than smallies.    CARPIO 

8/6/21 @ 9:10 AM
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

the big one I caught was no where near 13lb...   But, with so many...   the chance is there.

8/6/21 @ 8:10 AM
nihsif
nihsif
Bowfin13 lbs. 1 oz.31.6" 07/19/1980Willow FlowageOneida
8/6/21 @ 8:01 AM
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

The last time I was fishing the Wolf Rive out of Gills Landing,  I pulled in 8 of them....  all averaged 22-24 inch with one monster just short of the 30" mark....

Which makes me think... I should check to see what the state record is... there may be an opportunity here... 

8/6/21 @ 7:46 AM
nihsif
nihsif

good grief....

don't know any lakes, but if you find slews on the river, they would be  hanging out in the same spots as LMB and pike... same for lakes

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE