SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Lake Michigan Pier/Shore Fishing

7/7/14 @ 4:46 PM
INITIAL POST
Another Pier-Dweller
User since 6/11/10
This thread has been started to encourage discussion and exchange of information among those who consider themselves to be on-shore anglers of the the Lake Michigan system. Please feel welcome to share information, tips, techniques, stories, upcoming tournaments (specific to on-shore fishermen), or any other topic-related information.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
3/31/20 @ 9:57 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

My friend fished a Lake Michigan tributary the other day and got a couple from shore.  Tons of fun catching these fish on light tackle in shallow water!

1/25/16 @ 9:01 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Funny thing is ive actually dropshotted for browns specifically. And it worked well by the discharge...
1/25/16 @ 7:04 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Thanks Robbo. I guess I am so used to buying St Croix's it is hard to pare down a bit. Most of the guys I see are using lower to mid grade stuff and they work out just fine. Pretty focused on a 7'6" one piece. Best bang for buck kinda thing. Yeah, I get you with the bigger browns. Just gotta wear em down good. A bass/walleye drop shot rod would be perfect I think!
1/25/16 @ 6:53 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I honestly use 8 lb mono and medium/medium light rods for everything on the lake front except salmon and lakers. Plenty to handle most anything that will bite. Even 20 lb browns are generally not an issue. You can get buy with very little. I wouldn't stress to much about it. In fact my favorite rod to use down there is my drop shot rod for bass...
1/25/16 @ 2:52 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
OK guys. I am looking for 2 rods to use tight-lining the rail in Milwaukee. The rods are for mainly perch, but need to be strong enough to handle the occasional brown/steelie. I am NOT using them for fall kings (I don't fish the fall run). I am leaning towards a one piece medium or medium/light 7'6" rod. I have to stay under $200 for both rods. I already have reels for them. Got my eye on the shimano convergence inshore rods. Plenty of back-bone and sensitive enough to see perch nibbles. Limited lifetime warranty also. I really want to get a one piece either 7'6" or 8'. Anybody have other suggestions? I use my St croix Legend Tounament rods right now. Not what they are intended for (drunk shore fishing ha-ha). Smile
9/26/14 @ 1:22 PM
Mott Crue
User since 9/26/14
I recently started pier fishing in Manitowoc. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on what to use and when, where, and if the fish are biting? I've gone a few times now with no success and looking for anything.
9/25/14 @ 11:43 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Bust out the bobbers walter;)
9/24/14 @ 7:49 PM
uncle walter
uncle walter
User since 6/1/13
I have been trying to get into the fall run for salmon the past couple years. I have had l some success but getting flustered I can not consistently catch salmon. Anyone have any suggestions. Thank you
9/3/14 @ 8:46 AM
~Fishin
~Fishin'
User since 9/6/07
The longer the rod, the longer the cast for the most part. If you are looking for a dedicated salmon fishing rod on the pier I would go with a 9 foot steelhead/salmon rod. You can find them at Gander or Cabelas in various price points depending on your budget. Gander recently had theirs on sale for 49.99, normally 69.99. You can spend $400 on a St Croix though if you have the cash. Personally, I use a 8'6" rod because I can also use it for other things. Reel you want something with a very good drag and a decently large capacity. I'm a shimano guy so I'd recommend a Stradic hands down in the 4000 size. It is a $180 reel though. I've been fishing with this reel for about 7 years now, first cleaned the drag this year even though it was still butter smooth - I figured it was just time. If your going to skimp, skimp on the rod and get a gander rod instead of going more expensive and get the better reel if you can. You most definitely will not regret it. The first time you have a king scream out 100 yards of line and your drag doesn't tightening up and snap the line, you will be eternally thankful for the decision. Its one thing to have a drag feel smoothish for a small run like a bass or northern might make. Its another thing for a drag to hold up to what a king will dish out.
8/29/14 @ 4:27 PM
outdoorbradley
User since 5/19/13
what rod and reel you recommended for long casting on lake michigan for salmon and trout? i been using 7 feet rod it do good, but seen many others people use longer rod and cast more far out than i able to. any recommendation? thanks! Bradley
8/26/14 @ 4:31 PM
CedarburgBill
CedarburgBill
User since 8/26/14
Howdy! Found this link on the other page. Anyone posting information here for those of us that love pier and shore fishing from Port Washington? Thanks. Bill
8/19/14 @ 9:04 AM
Another Pier-Dweller
User since 6/11/10
Hey everyone, wondering if there is anyone in the Green Bay/Kewaunee/Manitowoc area that is selling/getting rid of a dip net, please message me if you are and what price you're willing to let it go for?
7/17/14 @ 7:33 PM
bait_er_chris
User since 1/28/03
Are they biting off south pier this week out of sheboygan?
7/13/14 @ 5:35 AM
slayergirl
User since 8/4/11
Delayed trip until last night. Still on south pier Sheboygan. Pier is filled with people, tons of bait around. Haven't seen anyone with a fish on. Only 2 ppl on north pier.
7/11/14 @ 9:51 AM
slayergirl
User since 8/4/11
We're heading out to try Sheboygan(probably south pier). I'll let you guys know what's happening. Hit or miss, it's family tradition for several decades to sit on the pier all night. Once it's in your blood you just have to try.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE