Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Houghton/Hancock area fishing

8/1/17 @ 11:29 AM
ORIGNAL POST
EZ
MEMBER since 7/3/01

Wife and I plan to head to the area mid-September for a week of fishing, looking around, etc. Never been up to this neck of the woods before. Taking the boat, and looking for a cottage on a lake.  Any suggestions for places to stay and lakes to fish? Not opposed to trailering over to different lakes.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/3/17 @ 6:53 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

No worries EZ, happy to help, that's what this site is for-  sorry I couldn't help much on the lodging, but it is kinda scarce up there-  there is a hotel on the water (Lakeside Inn) in Baraga that has docks into Keewenaw bay, but the fishing there can be tough-  big pike and smallies in the weeds, just hard to find the weeds- the only perennial weed bed I know of is just off the beach adjacent to Irene's pizza in Baraga- good pizza by the way, but unbelievably rude staff, so rude and abusive as to be hilarious.  There is a motel in H/H the Super 8 by MTU in Houghton on the Canal that has docks as well, the nearest ramp is right under the bridge.  I would check on the dock usage before I assumed though, they might be a private coop or yacht club kinda thing-  Michigamme has a few decent cabin resorts, but that is about it-  most of the traditional resort type of lakeside accommodations seem to stop at the border, or are farther east in the UP towards Manistique.

If you guys do get to H/H area, the best chow is probably Pilgrim River Steak House (high dollar for the UP) or The Library in downtown Houghton.  Keewenaw Brewery makes some good beer.

Wish I was going........

8/2/17 @ 9:20 PM
EZ
MEMBER since 7/3/01

Wow! There's a lot of info in that reply. Thanks much....should keep me plenty busy for the week just trying a few of the ideas.

8/2/17 @ 9:01 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

There aren't that many "lakefront" cabins in the immediate vicinity of H/H, there are a few on Otter Lake (Filpus' Cabins), close to Baraga- this lake also has a good multi-species fishery, decent walleyes, pike, and small/largemouth, fair perch/pannies.  Not a big lake, spots are obvious, not much pressure especially after Labor Day.  Maybe 20-30 mins from H/H, I would recommend the ramp on the Tapiola side of the lake, versus the ramp at the dam.   In the immediate H/H vicinity, Torch is a world-class pike/walleye ice fishing lake, harder to locate the fish in the summer, but big ones are still there- big water tho-  the Portage Ship Canal has decent fish, as does Chassell Bay and Portage Lake- again, lots of water to cover. 

If you are willing to roam, within an hours' drive there is Michigamme, a fairly large lake with good walleye and decent Muskie, about 15 miles east from there is Greenwood Reservoir, an out of the way lake that looks like a Canada Shield lake, very picturesque and really good bass-  to the west, Gogebic is a bit of a drive, but if you get a southwest wind, you can drift the entire eastern shore and catch more smallies than you can count- that lake is known for its walleyes, but the production has been off the last few years.

If the road construction has finished on the bridges, it is only about an hours drive south to Chicagon, a great muskie lake- nice motel just off the water at the southern boat ramp.

Prickett Lake/Dam isn't far to the south, but was 99% drained not too long ago to repair the dam, and it takes a while for the fishing to recover, probably don't want to waste your time-

If you are looking for deep water/Great lakes fishing, I can't help much with that, but there is a good bait shop on the water in downtown L'Anse, Indian Country Sports, that guy has good local hot spot knowledge- also has a nice DNR ramp right to Keeweenaw Bay outside his front door.

For the most part, all of that water I mentioned is gin clear, and cold-  in Mid Sept, the temps on the big lakes will still be in the 60s, on the smaller inland lakes, probably ambient air temp.  The inland lakes will either be tea/copper tinged, and anything gold or perch pattern shows up exceptionally well in the water- if it is a hot summer late, there will probably be a leftover algae bloom and the water will be greenish.

Best of luck, and just a forewarning- the DNR patrols pretty aggressively checking licenses and safety equipment. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.