Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Honesty

5/15/22 @ 2:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Shad
USER SINCE 8/27/01

Am I the only one still scratching my head when I see people who say they are helping preserve the fish resource by releasing far more than they take home, or does honestly fall right along side how crappy many people treat each other today?  Stringers and coolers full of walleyes today will lead to empty waters tomorrow.  Guess everyone has to live with their honesty or dishonesty. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

6/23/22 @ 5:29 PM
fishfillet
USER SINCE 1/8/13

Minfan,, step 1: get off Facebook and never go back.  It's bad.   Step 2:  go fishing.

6/22/22 @ 12:55 PM
Minfam
USER SINCE 2/16/20

There's lots of new people in the sport of fishing and they are picking up some really bad habits, ignorant or don't care what the laws are and fish mishandling my goodness it's the norm.  FB fishing pages are loaded with it.  Say anything constructive and you'll look like Bonnie and Clyde's Ford.

5/28/22 @ 10:43 AM
fishfillet
USER SINCE 1/8/13

As long as one isn't breaking the law, what does it matter?

5/17/22 @ 9:40 AM
Flyrod Man
USER SINCE 8/13/09

Been releasing fish so long that I go on a guilt trip if I keep any now-be American, eat Haddock!!!

5/17/22 @ 8:29 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

In my younger years, a limit was the cool thing.  As I got older I realized it wasn't, so I have gotten selective.  I'd rather clean 10 fish than 50.  I also change it up a lot more now.  One day might be panfish, next day inland trout, then walleye, then musky, etc.  I find that more fun than doing the same thing over and over.

Bigger fish are fun to catch, but I prefer mid-size fish to eat.  By that I mean 8-10" perch instead of 12-14" perch.  Or 9-10" crappies vs 12-14" crappies.  Those big ones look great, but if you watch people grabbing fish to eat, they take the smaller ones first.  Same thing with walleyes on Green Bay, I rather eat them less than 20" and let the rest go.  Plenty of fish out there these days to accomplish that.  If I don't catch enough smaller ones to keep a limit, that's okay too.  

5/17/22 @ 6:17 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
USER SINCE 3/23/20

I do catch my limit alot but rarely keep my limit. I just search for hopefully a trophy or pb and then keep the eater size fish to what me and the wife feel we would eat the next day. We usually go on 2 week long fishing trips we fish every day and catching a bunch of fish but out of the 14 days we only keep fish 2 or 3 of the days to eat the next day. I did get the wife to go ice fishing on the Mississippi backwaters late February we had blast caught fish everyday close to 100 gills and 40-50 perch the whole week but only kept 9 total perch 10" -12" the last day. Honestly 

5/16/22 @ 11:05 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

I fish alot and release 95% to 100% of the fish I catch. That leaves about enough for a family fish fry every week. Seems fairly fish friendly to me. Sometimes I have a big fish fry for friends, around 5 or 6 times a year, or give a few to old people who can't get out themselves anymore. Let the largest fish go, and I don't even bother spawning fish, much less keep them. I only keep post spawn fish. I believe that doesn't harm the resource at all

5/16/22 @ 7:55 PM
Timmothy A
USER SINCE 5/17/09

Keep as many legally sized fish as you want to eat and stay within possession limits.  That's it.  

5/16/22 @ 3:16 PM
Mountain
Mountain
USER SINCE 1/7/02

I kept one brown trout this spring for the table. I kept 6 perch this winter. I didn't keep anything in 2021.

I just enjoy fishing, regardless of the type of fish it is. I don't need a stringer full of fish to tell people that I'm a great fisherman.

5/16/22 @ 11:34 AM
badgerstatehunter
USER SINCE 2/6/06

Most people who care about the resource aren't posting on lake link or engaged with groups.  They go and fill up coolers and freezers.  I kept 1 walleye this weekend for tonight's dinner.  Could have kept 4, along with my limit of crappies and some big bluegills. All are still swimming except the one walleye because one walleye is enough for me and my wife and I don't freeze fish.  I kept in total around 35 panfish this winter, good for around 5 meals.  I fished every weekend, so I kept a small percentage of my catch.  So I guess I released more than I kept, which is supposedly a bad thing, or am I just a rare honest person?  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.