SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

“ homemade” fish breading

10/11/21 @ 4:21 AM
INITIAL POST
perchdr
PRO MEMBER User since 10/19/02

I am familiar with most store bought brands. Years ago I had a recipient that included some baby food flakes, anyone have it? I use differing amounts of corn meal, corn flake crumbs, flour, bisquick, wonders Ext.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
10/17/21 @ 7:34 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

95Lund, tried the cracker meal today. I am sold

10/14/21 @ 9:37 PM
beelzebob
User since 9/24/01

I use 1 part panko, 1 part seasoned bread crumbs, 1 part potato flakes, 1/2 part cornmeal.  Start by dredging filet in flour, then dip in buttermilk/egg wash, shake off and drop into your breading.  Fry in ~ 1/2" oil and don't go too long, as soon as you see it turning gold, flip.  I season after they are out, usually with a cajun mix I make and some white pepper.   I do this same sort of thing w/ grouse and pheasant breast strips, serve w/ asian sweet hot chili sauce and honey mustard.  And get yourself a nice 12" cast iron pan, it makes a difference.

10/14/21 @ 9:34 PM
flatlander68
User since 1/24/06

Flour, bread crumbs and if you like  some seasoning. What you like garlic, onion, thyme, oregano.  I go with first 2 add other after.  taste the fish  Lite not greasy.

10/14/21 @ 9:31 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I mix 2 parts Louisiana fish fry mix (blue bag), 1 part Italian bread crumbs, some lemon pepper, and some Tony Chachere's or cayenne pepper to taste. I like very crispy and spicy fish. I do all of my fish this way. Louisiana fish fry has less sodium than some other brands, so I stick with it. To mix things up a bit, I sometimes go with Panko instead. I haven't had a beer batter yet that isn't too greasy for me. Love the flavor, hate the messy greasiness.

10/14/21 @ 12:17 PM
da finn 55
User since 1/31/19

Try Andy's.....comes in 4 different flavors, quit making my own once I found this. Its about 1.99 a 16 oz. bag

10/14/21 @ 9:33 AM
Drawsbaby
User since 5/7/03

Referring to 95Lund. If you can’t find cracker meal just use saltine crackers. Take a sleeve and use a rolling pin to mash them up. 

10/14/21 @ 9:24 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

I have used equal parts of corn starch and flour, dipped in egg wash re-floured and fried til done, seasoned with garlic salt after.

Sounds too simple right. ,,,,,, It is by far my favorite. I have had them all, this is what I have done for over 40 yrs. of bluegill, crappies, and walleye... also is the bomb with breaded pork chops.

As always don't fry the crap out of it and it will be delicious.

Mac

10/13/21 @ 4:18 PM
95Lund
User since 4/12/20

Learned this from many years of canadian shore lunches. CRACKER MEAL. Not easy to find but can get at some grocery stores. Season to your liking. So: dried fillets go into seasoned white flour and then shake all that off, dunk in beaten egg, then into cracker meal. Pan or deep fry. Or pan fry on one side then flip onto baking sheet to finish in oven. 

Most store bought mixes contain cornmeal which only works on deep fried catfish, in other applications it is too gritty.

BTW, I am a 54 year old professional chef. And I weigh 250 lbs., so you can trust this.

10/13/21 @ 11:43 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

For beer batter, McCormick's is great, shore lunch is only so-so to me.

As far as homemade, try instant potato flakes or run some pretzels through the blender to pulverize them into flour, turns out fantastic.

10/13/21 @ 11:01 AM
Woods-N-Water
User since 9/17/16

I agree with the breadcrumbs seasoned to your liking recommendation.

10/13/21 @ 9:43 AM
Walli Guy
User since 7/27/14

we have used Golden Dipt Old South Fish Fry Meal for years.

its made from corn flour. i add a little seasoned salt, pepper and old bay, fish fries up light and crisp at 375 degrees

10/12/21 @ 5:46 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21

Use a container of bread crumbs, the very small crumbs. Season it as you prefer. Best way to go.

10/12/21 @ 5:43 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

Bisquick pancake mix  or crushed cherrios.

10/12/21 @ 1:42 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

My go to I picked up working in a restaurant back in the day is 1/2 breadcrumbs and 1/2 cheap grated Parmesan cheese from the green plastic shaker can as the base. Then season accordingly with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Cajun, whatever suits your fancy. Pat dry, dredge in flour, bathe in egg wash, and into the breading. Baked or fried, works both ways. 

10/12/21 @ 10:30 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

I use 3:1 ratio of flour:cornmeal for a nice bit of crunch

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE