MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Have you reported something to the DNR & what they do?

8/17/16 @ 7:42 PM
ORIGNAL POST
iceman1973
User since 6/30/14

I was swimming with my kids at lake George & saw what looked like 3 kid ( driver looked like he was under 10 yes old) on a jet ski.I saw a loon out in the middle of the lake & they went past it within 20 ft 5 different times & 1 time it seemed they went right over it.I called the DNR to report it & tell them where they where staying (it was a resort) after 2 hrs he called me & told me he didn't see them. Have you reported something to the DNR & they didn't do anything?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/24/16 @ 5:38 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

I had trouble with under age kids on ATV's racing up and down the road in our subdivision. These where kids under 12 riding with just shorts, no shoes, shirt or helmet riding at an excessive speed. I called the DNR hotline and reported them.  Come to find out, the warden had been sitting in the woods across the street watching them run up and down the road while the parents were drinking it up. When the warden went to stop one of the kids, he lost control of the ATV and hit the wardens vehicle. Ended up the parents got fines for letting under age children operate an atv, no registration and a couple of other things. So they do follow up on calls from my expeirence.

8/22/16 @ 2:23 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

It's been wither hit or miss for me and my family.  When we call the dnr we almost always at least get a call back about the issue.  

One time we had people across from us road hunting the fields from the back of their pickups driving back and forth down the road on opening night of rifle season.  Warden showed up staked out the area saw the guys doing it and found some spent shells.  They got in big trouble.

There were a few other times we were forced to call, but nothing came from these calls because the warden didn't have proof or decided against further action.  They at least informed us afterwards.

8/22/16 @ 11:05 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I'm not judging the whole crew.  I am saying that i'm done calling though.

It's not their fault, the state chooses to run only 2-3 wardens,  that's the DNR's problem,  not the wardens.  

8/22/16 @ 9:52 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

won't be judging the entire warden community on a couple perceived "incompletes" ... understand being a little frustrated, but overall, it seems there is professional service being delivered

8/22/16 @ 7:19 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I agree,  wardens have lives too....but on the other hand in one of my situations....THEY SAID THEY SHOWED UP.  they didn't.  I sat there for 1.5 hours in my truck waiting at the landing.  I could see the group of guys on the lake walk off one by one.  a Warden NEVER showed up.  I called the DNR to inquire,  the report said there were no violations.  How could that be when they never showed up.  that's what pissed me off.  IF you can't make it fine,  but don't lie in your report.

8/21/16 @ 6:56 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

rikj - Exactly!  A warden may finish a 14 hour day, eat dinner and head off to bed, only to get a call about a deer poacher.  Also, keep in mind for illegal trapping  they have to hide in the bushes for hours on end (even days) to catch the violator.  The wardens do not work a 9 - 5 job. 

If a warden gets a report of night shooting, they may stake out a field from 10 PM to 4 AM, only to get a call at 7 AM  (after they just got to bed) that someone is keeping an undersized fish - these are likely the calls they take a pass on. 

I agree with the previous poster, if you get a customer ID number off of a tree stand, a boat registration number, a video or picture they will absolutely follow up on your tip. 

If you simply state someone is fishing illegally when they are chasing down a poacher, it is not worth their time or effort and will likely take a pass. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/21/16 @ 10:59 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

I sent an E-mail to the DNR about a pile of untagged deer I found in the Nicolet forest about 6 years ago. I sent the message on a Sunday afternoon and received an email from the local warden in a half hour. He wanted directions on where to find the 7-8 untagged half butchered carcasses. He responded again the next day and told me he took some photos and moved the deer further back in the woods so he didn't get any more call-ins. He suspected night shooting and said he would "step up" patrolling in that area, but did admit they were short handed. He also gave me his work # and Cell# and told me to call anytime day or night...........In that case the system worked and the warden is willing to put in extra time, good guy.

8/21/16 @ 3:57 AM
whatup
User since 12/9/01

So some of you think if you call the warden he should be there instantly? Realize he/she might be on another investigation, or not in the area at the time. Also, how many days a week do you all work? 7 days, 24 hrs? Wardens are regular people who have off days, and don't work 24 hrs a day. So stop complaining about them. Continue to call,  eventually they violators will get caught.

8/20/16 @ 6:51 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I get it that the wardens are spread thin but many of us could justify and complain that we're too busy at work.  But when you hand a warden a slam dunk pinch and they don't respond, that rubs me the wrong way.  No disrespect, I just don't understand it.  

8/20/16 @ 4:46 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

As others have noted, lots of acres to look after (public and private) and too few wardens to go around. 

I'm sure many times they have to pick the biggest fire to put out, and an undersized bass might not be the biggest priority on any given day. 

I have one of the Racine County's wardens mobile from when we talked years ago, and he invited me to call or text whenever needed. I know a few other folks who he has given his number to as well.  If I had to guess I'd say I've called / texted him 3 or 4f times over the years, and he has always been responsive.  My buddy who also has his number has always gotten a response as well, from tree stands where they shouldn't be to hunting / fishing violations on Lake Tichigan. 

The wardens have more work than time.  From checking bag limits at noon on Tuesday to someone poaching deer from a car at 2 AM. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.