MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Go Pro beginner set-up

10/28/20 @ 7:31 PM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

My lovely wife insists on getting me a Go Pro for Christmas to record my fishing sessions. I think she's trying to get me to make a YouTube channel so she can get more $$$ from me. Just a guess. Ahem. 

Anyway, can anyone give me some advice on a beginner set-up as far as which camera, accessories, things to avoid etc. Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
11/12/20 @ 7:50 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

Get a OSMO Action.  The gopros overheat and you can get the external mic adapter for 18 to 20 dollars.

If you don't use an external mic with a deadcat you will have to cover up the wind noise with music and then the quality of your video will suffer.

The OSMO Action is down to 229 right now and will likely hit 199 for black friday.

You can get two OSMO Actions for a bit more than one GoPro 9.

11/12/20 @ 11:27 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

My multi-camera videos were using cheap knock offs, all with the built in mic.  I don't use any external mics. Sometimes the audio quality suffers because of it, but it works for me.  I'm trying to either save up for another GoPro or maybe I'll just get another cheap one.  I kinda miss doing it that way, but it makes the editing much slower. Quality/quantity balance, but maybe I should slow down a little and get back to it! 

My channel lately has been more fishing-based than production based.  Someday, I'll have the time and ability to merge the two! 

11/12/20 @ 9:36 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I filmed a couple of sessions with my buddy last year (check out his channel, Playin' Hooky Sportsfishing) and he had 3 cameras to get good shots of all of the action.  2 go pros that he had those wrap around mounts that can wrap around anything like a rod holder, the fishing net, or stand on something sturdy), then he had one fancier camera for audio cause the gopro's don't have the best audio.  I think there are attachments you can get for better audio, but I'm not sure.  He also bought a drone so he could do flyovers.  It was pretty cool watching the drone follow the boat as I went full speed!

You can do alright with just one camera, long as you get pretty good with taking the shots.  One of my other friends, DWS Outdoors, does all of his filming with just one camera and I don't think he has a microphone.

262 Outdoors, I've been watching a fair share of your videos lately and have enjoyed them. Do you have an external microphone?  I think I saw in one of your videos that you had multiple cameras and were using the audio from the one that was strapped around your chest, but you had a camera mounted on a tripod as well.  Are they both gopro's?

11/12/20 @ 9:18 AM
Icefshr05
Icefshr05
User since 12/27/04

Filmed on GoPro cameras

11/9/20 @ 9:58 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I know Tiefsa uses the head mount a lot. I've found that it doesn't work for me because I am usually looking around for where my next cast will be as I'm reeling, so it gave me a Blair Witch feel. I love the stability of the chest mount and I think hook sets look pretty cool. You do end up blocking the camera sometimes but you get that nice "thud" to add dramatic affect to the hookset.

Of course, nothing says it has to be mounted to you. There are channels out there that use mounts on their boat or tripods.

The best thing would be to just play around and see what you like best.  If you start a channel, good luck! Some take off right away and make money. Others grind for 3 years and never make a cent (ask me how I know!) But it's a fun way to save your fishing memories and include others as well.

10/29/20 @ 10:01 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

You have two choices for camera angles if you are going with a first person perspective.  

1. Head mount.  Positives.  You don't see your arms as much in the camera shot.  You can go cheap and just duct tape the mount that comes in the box on the bill of an old hat.  Your head naturally follows what you are looking at, so if you have a fish on, the camera is usually right in-line with what you are reeling in.  In a kayak, this perspective looks way better.  You can take your hat off and bring it close to things you want to film.  Negatives.  With it higher up, fish that are small, look smaller.  Fishing for gills and such don't look as good.  If you are looking around (not watching your line - looking at scenery) The camera shot will swivel often.

2. Chest mount. Positives.  Your body tends to always face the direction your fishing.  You are closer to the fish if you have one on or if you are holding it out of the water.  Negatives. Your arms get in the way of the camera shot.  Looks bad in a kayak.  The chest strap thing is something you'll have to buy.  You can't take the camera out of the holder thing easily.  

I hope that helps.  I love my GoPro.  You'll learn what you like and don't like as you go.  Mess around with it. Do different things with it so you learn your own personal preferences.  

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE