SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Fishing vs pleasure boaters

6/6/20 @ 7:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Hothead
User since 10/9/05

I'll start this with I understand that everyone wants to enjoy being on the water and we have been cooped up for the past few months but can someone explain why skiers and personal watercraft have to come close to a person fishing? Or when they slow down and make the biggest wave they can. Came close to being swamped in the past few days. Maybe it's just me but I don't think so. And yes I realize that they want to enjoy the water also but how about a little common sense.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
6/17/20 @ 12:20 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

It goes both ways , at least that's my experience.  Just this past Sunday morning proved the point . So its 6 30ish am and I am on Pine lake fishing the southern most point , what do I see , already got a ski boat out setting up a salom course to run in the bay , which is only 2 feet deep I might add , so they run a few turns out from the bay to the main lake , along comes another fishing boat , where do they set up shop  , right damn smack in the middle of the bay opening so now the ski boat which was there first has to go around them and there is not much room on either side of the fishing boat . So you tell me who's at fault here ? How about the ramp ? One public ramp on that lake and no one has courtesy,  the ski boats all wanna drop and the fishing boats all wanna leave . So what I am saying here is this,  you gotta compromise on both sides so we all can enjoy the waterways we have . Plus this virus crap also has a lot to do with more boats, PwCs out and about now that the water temps are up, because people cant go anywhere else to have fun without worrying about the virus.  Be safe , report unsafe , tight lines to all . 

6/17/20 @ 12:11 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
Nemab-man,

I saw that happen 2 weeks ago on the St. Louis river.  My trolling batteries had died, so we packed up - headed over to where my sister and her husband were trolling to let them know we were leaving.

5 feet of water, we pulled up to them from the side - about 25 feet away when her rod doubled over, boated a 19"er.

"THANK YOU!!!  CIRCLE US SOME MORE!"

6/17/20 @ 12:07 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Tubers/skiers/jetskiers are showing off, and you can't show off from half a lake away.

6/8/20 @ 11:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I use kayaks at times and I stay to the shorelines, especially if its a tighter body of water.  If you see people that are not doing that, its just the odds catching up haha.

6/8/20 @ 11:26 AM
mingus
User since 8/9/02
On many lakes, the local lake patrols do not pull over boats driving recklessly too close to people fishing or kayaking.   Yet they are quick to pull you over to check your boat for all of the “proper equipment” or going a fit faster than the no wake speed early in the morning.  
6/8/20 @ 10:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I watched one of the recent Larry Smith shows and he mentioned fishing Winnebago or Green Bay and sure the fish tend to be larger, but he said there was something to be said about the northwoods and being alone on the water.  I grew up fishing Green Bay and caught a lot of big fish, but I now spend more time in the northwoods.  Lakes with skiing hours or flowages where you'd be crazy to pleasure boat, etc.  Gets me away from the hassle of it and I enjoy it more.  

The more popular bodies of water get a little crazy because there are just too many people trying to use them.  The odds of finding some people who don't know what they are doing increases drastically.

6/8/20 @ 10:12 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Lilman   You nailed it x 1000!  No wake bouys don’t mean squat!    CARPIO 

6/8/20 @ 9:17 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

A few thing come to mind in regard to this topic concerning pleasure boaters. I fish Winnebago mid June to October and usually fish west shore structure around the Winnebago Cty or asylum bay landings during the week with fair weather. Too often while anchored up you have those 20-30’ boats that feel the need to pass by quite close throwing the 2-4’ rollers at you when there is ample room to be away from the groups anchored up. Another case is a northern Wisconsin lake I fish often that is 1600 acres. One shoreline is long and straight. It has a well defined weed line in 5-8’ of water. Fishermen spread out along it and fish. The pontoon cruisers still must travel the narrow space between the fishermen and shore rather than travel outside the fishing groups in the main lake basin. My last gripe is the boat drivers I encounter while anchored up fishing that like to slow to half throttle as they pass by thinking that reduced speed is best yet don’t realize the wake they then throw is so much larger than when up on plane. I have encountered this many times on lakes as well as on the Wolf River I fish in the spring. The area of river I fish is remote and well away from the usual spring crowds but there are still those that don’t get it. 

6/7/20 @ 9:33 PM
LIL MAN
User since 5/20/08

The ones that I like are the pontoons that live on the lake and don't know what slow no wake means.

6/7/20 @ 11:37 AM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Best thing you can do if safety is not being followed , get a pic or video of the perp and report them. Mostly  everyone has a phone nowadays with a cam, get a pic or video as evidence .  I know some lakes are worse than others , Big Cedar comes to mind , just keep a look out and report unsafe operations regardless of who it is.  All craft have numbers on them for a reason, and everyone who lives on a lake knows who owns what most of the time . Just try to be safe out there .   

6/6/20 @ 8:34 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Fishermen and pleasure boats can both share the water, however you can’t use pleasure boaters and common sense in the same sentence. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE