MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Fishing the day after a big storm

7/29/21 @ 11:06 AM
INITIAL POST
TheRedGym
TheRedGym
User since 6/21/21

Was thinking about fishing this afternoon, but have always heard that fishing is rough the day after a big storm. Wondering what others think about this? Truth or an old wives tale??

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
8/9/21 @ 6:41 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Seems to want to be stormy every day, lately. But fishing has been good the last 3 times I hit the water after a storm. Tonight,  was still windy when I got out, big waves washing into my kayak. Fortunately my Three Waters yak is very stable. Wind died down a bit after awhile.  Picked up 20 crappie and 35 gills in 4 hrs before dark, kept 10 to take home 

7/31/21 @ 7:40 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Good to hear from ya Ulbian! Haven’t heard from ya in awhile. i agree with Vegas and Ulbian. Although I think every one is right in some fashion because sometimes it’s really unpredictable. It just started raining up here as I am writing . Lol 

7/30/21 @ 11:07 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Normally...worse. Yesterday, fishing was phenomenal for my son and I. 

But....the storm up north wasn't as big as down south. Still...surprised we did so well on largemouth bass. 

7/30/21 @ 8:31 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

After a storm phooy!   Clear skies, cool.   Cold front conditions.  Naturally IMOHO.    CARPIO 

7/30/21 @ 8:07 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

for panfish....fish the day of after a big storm.....it will be phenomenal 

7/30/21 @ 9:00 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Great topic.  And I love fishing muskies, so this is musky related.

When I was up north, the lake I was on was very bad after a storm.  Clear water, deep traditional lake.  They were shook up and just didn't move or chase baits.

Another lake about 10 miles was the opposite.  Dark water.  Weedy.  Not very deep.  After storms this was an awesome lake to fish.  Like the fish were stressed and just swiping at anything that came near them and moved erratically.  The key to getting hits to stick was pretty simple.  The pause.  Any bait that moved quickly, then stopped would get hit.

Maybe it was because they didn't have deep water to go hide in and recover.  I don't know, but I do know that as a rule, it will be tougher to fish musky after a bad storm.  But if I were to fish, I'd be looking for darker, shallower lakes to fish.

7/30/21 @ 5:13 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

After the violent storm,  got 22 crappie and around 30 gills in 4 hrs. Fishing actually seemed better than usual

7/29/21 @ 9:13 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Ulbain.  True.    I should have added that storms don’t affect fishing on rivers opposed to lakes except if they flood or get severely discolored.     CARPIO 

7/29/21 @ 8:23 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

It depends. There‘s a muskie lake I’ve fished a ton that is absolutely phenomenal in post frontal conditions. Go two miles down the road and another lake is incredibly tough in those conditions. Other bodies of water are like this as well but that one in particular is beyond compare in “tough” conditions. If you aren’t tapped into lakes that have quirks like that then rivers are probably going to be your best bet. 

7/29/21 @ 6:53 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

If you got the time give it a shot, what do you have to lose.

I would go storm or no storm.

7/29/21 @ 11:53 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Go golfing.  CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE