LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fishing "Etiquette"

10/29/14 @ 8:38 AM
ORIGNAL POST
netsdry63
netsdry63
User since 10/18/14
Looking for a few thoughts here. I was shore fishing the Fox River in Oshkosh last weekend. Fishing for a couple of hours when two guys in a boat pulling boards start heading upriver towards me. They get within shouting distance and ask me how far my lines are out. I had my lines fairly close in so now problem. As they headed upriver, I heard him yell out to another shore fisherman, " Well, I hope I don't run any over!" Although I appreciate him asking, should I really be the one reeling in all of my lines so he can pass? Or should the guy just pull in his boards or better yet, adjust his trolling to avoid all of us on shore? Not trying to start WWIII here, but looking for a few thoughts. Thanks everyone!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/18/14 @ 5:03 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
Bugle, I would buy that guy a beer. Disrespectful guys on the water need a butt whooping in my book Cool

11/18/14 @ 10:54 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
H&H,

That was one of the best arse kickings I’ve seen and that includes many evenings of watching MMA. There were a few punches thrown and a couple of head bounces off a big rock too. I was surprised that the guy was able to get up and run when he got the chance.

That all happened on a weekday morning and there were few people around which is rare for Shoto during the steelhead run. I was the only person fishing below the bridge in the rapids. After the may lay ended, the guy who handed out the beating walked down by me and washed off his face in the river. He had a bloody nose from the other guy’s sucker punch which started the whole thing. The guy was shaking. I don’t remember his exact words but he was freaked out by what he had just done and realized how close he may have come to killing the other guy. He honestly felt remorse for what had just happened but said that he just went into auto-mode as soon as he got punched.

A sheriff’s deputy showed up a few minutes later. Two of my buddies gave a statement since they were closer to the event than I and heard the verbal exchange before the fight broke out. A coworker of mine at the time claimed to have known the deputy and said that disorderly conduct fines were given to the two instigators and the guy on shore was not given any citations since he only reacted after he was punched. I can’t verify if that’s true but if it was, justice was served.

I’m not condoning violence but apparently some folks need to learn etiquette the hard way. Big Smile

11/14/14 @ 12:43 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
Bugle Trout - Thank you for sharing that wonderful story! I reread it a few times...simply marvelous.

I was envisioning what this must have been like: was holding the other guy's head under the water while he repeatedly kept kicking him in his side.

My only regret is I wasn't there to see it and that others deserving of such a whooping rarely get it. Blush

11/10/14 @ 8:24 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
Also, if anyone fishes the Manitowoc piers, I am shocked more fights don't break out between the pier fishermen and boaters.

I was fishing once and a boater went way too close to the pier and really angered a guy on the pier. The guy on the pier picked up his stuff and said he was going to the boat launch to wait for the boater. I don't think anything happened, but it made me laugh because the guy could've launched out of Two Rivers or another marina.

I also know guys who keep a 3 oz lure that is designed specifically to cut lines if a boater gets too close. I am surprised that hasn't lead to a few fights.

11/10/14 @ 8:19 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
Bugle, lol that wasn't me, but I respect that guy.

Although ironically mine happened at Mishicot (Shoto's little brother haha). I was casting spinners right along the dam, casting from the rocks right next to the concrete ramp thingy (so I was casting parallel with the dam). He wades right where I was casting to float yarn eggs.

I tried to speak up but he couldn't hear me over the dam noise (or he pretended not to). I wouldn't get into a fist fight over a fishing spot, but if he hits me first, it's good night for him Cool

11/9/14 @ 9:39 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
We are all familiar with the law to prevent harrassment against those of us legally pursuing fish and game. The law also applies to our fellow sporters who interfere with our pursuit. Standing in your fishing hole is harrassment. Trolling too close is harrassment. Next time call the warden.

11/7/14 @ 12:39 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
macho,

I watched that happen at the Shoto Dam a number of years ago. There were two guys that went and stood in a hole that a guy on shore was fishing. He politely asked them to move. The second time he asked he wasn't so polite. One of the guys sucker punched the guy on shore and all hell broke loose. The guy on land must have just seen red and went off on the guy that punched him. His buddy ran away and left him to get his arse thoroughly kicked. I honestly thought that I was going to witness a murder. The guy who was formerly on shore was holding the other guy's head under the water while he repeatedly kept kicking him in his side. He finally came to and let the guy out of the water. Of course, the two bozo's that started it all ran to a house and called the cops.

That wasn't you on shore, was it? Big Smile

11/7/14 @ 9:54 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
I was fishing the spring steelhead run once. I was casting a spinner in a hole...

Then, a fly fisherman wades literally right where I was casting, and stopped there. Right where I was casting. Had I not stopped, I would've hooked him. It's one thing to walk through (still a bad thing to do, but forgivable) but to walk right in the line of where I am casting, and just stay there, is 100% jerk behavior.

I try to be respectful and stay out of people's way (I won't fish shoulder to shoulder), so when people do that to me I get real pissed.

10/30/14 @ 12:46 AM
netsdry63
netsdry63
User since 10/18/14
Thanks for the input guys. I agree that we should all just get along. Most of us I assume, are working our tails off during the week just to get out on the weekends and enjoy our passion for fishing...no need to get angry with each other. This past summer I walked a path to one of my favorite shore fishing spots on Winnebago, only to find two guys in a boat sitting 30 yards out casting towards shore...and they were catching fish too! disappointed? Yes I was,and I suppose I could have set up there anyway, but I thought the better of it and moved to another spot. They were there first and enjoying the fishing. Wish everyone felt the same way. Tight lines!

10/29/14 @ 12:15 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Had a good one a few years back. Was shore fishing the summer fest lagoon when a well known fisherman who posts lots of pics in the fish pics part of the fishing reports came into the lagoon long line trolling under the walking bridge......got all of lake Michigan to troll but comes into a 10 acre lagoon.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.