MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Fish Limits with a guide

5/22/22 @ 9:50 PM
INITIAL POST
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
User since 9/2/20

Looking at all the fishing reports has me researching and unable to find the answer.   When fishing with a guide, do customers get to keep the guide‘s limit as well?  As if the guide may donate their portion of the total boat possession to the customer?

Displaying 76 to 90 of 150 posts
7/15/22 @ 12:21 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

might help if you  had proof of the problem... it's like the folks that complain about how such n such a lake is R&P year after year after year.... huh? think about that logically 

keep in mind fish are a renewable resource....

...as far as ethics go, those are generally personal preferences

7/15/22 @ 12:13 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

"I think this thread should be changed to woke fishermen complaining about everything catching fish"

I disagree with that point of view. There's been one very large topic that's been discussed here, and a couple off-shoots from that. The issues presented are real and important. The main one having been voted on and approved by sportsmen in the State. I know you used the term "woke" to try to be clever.  Instead maybe just try to say why you disagree with the vote to eliminate guides gifting fish, and why you think the devastating effects it causes are unimportant to you. Also why you feel selling limits of fish under the ruse of guiding is acceptable to you. It'd make for much better conversation in my opinion.

7/15/22 @ 10:37 AM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

I think this thread should be changed to woke fishermen complaining about everything catching fish

7/15/22 @ 3:55 AM
prov
prov
User since 12/21/04

I'll focus on hauling up fish from deep depths in hot water temps and how it's a great injustice. A perfectly legal, yet tragic unethical decision in exchange for $$$ I agree with this 100% fish brought up at that depth have a high mortality rate everyone should know this.Barotrauma I wont even fish for anything more that 20-25 feet to many fish come up with their air bladder hanging out off their mouth.Im sure many will disagree but i have seen to many fish die from it-now putting those fish in your live well for a tourney 8 hours long its even worse most die when water temps are were they are now.Fishing on lake geneva the last 8 years their has been a huge decline in bigger 4-6lb fish i relate it to this exact problem.More than 5 years ago if you didnt catch at least 1 bass over 5 lbs it was a bad night now if you catch 1 bass over 5 lbs in a year your lucky.

7/7/22 @ 10:41 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Quote Samfox: "Fin,  I wasn’t aware of walleyes or other fish going below the therocline. Also seems to be a lot of assumptions that clients are keeping all the fish or maybe just holding them up for advertising photos."

Ugh? no assumptions from me. I'm just looking at the fishing reports. One guide has his clients hauling fish up fish from 27' and another from 30'. Based on past experience reading these posts those depths will increase over the next few weeks as well. Not sure why you are questioning this as it's fact. You should really focus on the ethical and biological questions this raises.

Also, the gifting issue is fact as well, we've have guides come on here (one very recently) and say exactly that, it's fact. He said he does it, and all the other guides do as well. However, for this moment I think I'll focus on hauling up fish from deep depths in hot water temps and how it's a great injustice. A perfectly legal, yet tragic unethical decision in exchange for $$$.  

7/7/22 @ 10:04 AM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Fin,  I wasn’t aware of walleyes or other fish going below the therocline. Also seems to be a lot of assumptions that clients are keeping all the fish or maybe just holding them up for advertising photos.

7/7/22 @ 8:46 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

There was talk on this post a while back about guides taking clients out and catching walleye's from 30+ feet in mid July, and the ethics and biological effects of doing so. We've now reached that time.

6/4/22 @ 8:42 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I’ve done the same thing nihsif. They responded via email to my question within 24 hours. I was pretty impressed because it was just a clarification on a regulation.

6/4/22 @ 7:58 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

fin bender, this will get you to a number of ways to contact DNR for answers... I usually go to the Website Feedback and Questions, but will contact a local warden if I have a question about a specific body of water

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/contact

6/3/22 @ 4:36 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Fin Bender, the DNR statutes you quoted may apply to the topic of gifted fish. It still could be a gray area about the gifting though depending on if the DNR/warden considers gifted fish as “reduced to possession”. It is something that does need more clarification how the DNR/warden views that. Once off the water and a person takes possession of gifted fish the only regulation that may apply would be that of a possession limit versus that of a daily bag limit. It may be tough to even get clarification of this from the DNR or a warden. If enough interest in the gifting issue becomes apparent to the DNR they may then edit the regulations to give more clarity. To further muddy the gifting waters if a person catches some fish, cleans them and then gifts them to another does the person receiving them need a valid fishing license to posses them, if no license is needed because the recipient did not “reduce to possession” the gifted fish that same logic could apply to the gifted fish topic that this thread is about. 

6/3/22 @ 3:25 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Interesting find. Looks pretty cut and dried already. 

6/3/22 @ 1:30 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

ayeFeesh said "This could be resolved with an easy clarification to the laws. You cannot take possesion of more than a daily limit of fish in one day. Seems to fix all the concerns I see brought up."

I've been thinking about this. It's so simple and straightforward. So much so that I went and looked at the DNR Administrative Code (DNR laws). And wouldn't you know it, this seems to be right in the law and addressed clearly. Here how the DNR defines daily bag limit in the law:

NR 20.03 Definitions. In this chapter: (8) “Daily bag limit" means the maximum number of fish that may be reduced to a person's possession from a specified waterbody or portion of a waterbody in one day.

So, this being true, If I catch my limit I've reduced to my possession the maximum number of fish in a day. IF I then accept a gift of another limit on the same day I'll reduce to my possession twice the daily bag limit which is illegal according to NR 20.03 (8).

Perhaps the assumption that it's allowable to accept a gift of fish on the same day a limit is caught is completely wrong to begin with.

Does anyone know how to go about getting the DNR to clarify this?

6/1/22 @ 5:48 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

ayefeesh you might be on to something! Lol

5/31/22 @ 4:06 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

This could be resolved with an easy clarification to the laws. You cannot take possesion of more than a daily limit of fish in one day.

Seems to fix all the concerns I see brought up.

5/31/22 @ 2:56 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Creel surveys would definitely help with management of the resource.  It's a good first step in understanding the impact and then an informed decision can be made regarding any potential change to regulations.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 150 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE