LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fish Limits with a guide

5/22/22 @ 8:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
USER SINCE 9/2/20

Looking at all the fishing reports has me researching and unable to find the answer.   When fishing with a guide, do customers get to keep the guide‘s limit as well?  As if the guide may donate their portion of the total boat possession to the customer?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 149 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/12/22 @ 8:32 AM
amaranthlost
USER SINCE 5/31/10

I have fished with a couple guides who have done just that and even encouraged C&R for me as well. I was perfectly fine with that but I also know that many people fish to keep when they go with a guide so it's a tough spot. A lot of guides are very resource conscious but there are some who are less scrupulous. 

8/12/22 @ 7:19 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER SINCE 5/21/03

Scenario:  You and your best friend show up to fish with a guide that is known to be excellent.  You are on a new lake and very excited.  You show up at the launch and the guide says, right away, "I'll fish with you, but everything I catch gets returned to the water.  You can keep your limits, but my fish will not be given to you."

Anyone going to cancel their trip?  ( I would not)

8/12/22 @ 7:03 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

just a comment

8/11/22 @ 2:28 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

Not sure if that "legal advice" comment was directed at me? If so take it directly from the Administrative Code if it makes you feel better. I'll even do the work and provide the link for you:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/document/administrativecode/NR%2020.03(8)

Plus I'll copy and paste it if you don't want to go directly to the source:

20.03 (8) “Daily bag limit" means the maximum number of fish that may be reduced to a person's possession from a specified waterbody or portion of a waterbody in one day.

8/11/22 @ 1:55 PM
Jumbee
USER SINCE 8/20/12

Do I dare ask if keeping 40 cheeks from 20 fish over the course of a summer of walleye fishing is the same as being in possession of the 20 whole fish?  Asking for a friend.

8/11/22 @ 1:14 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

I would be wary about taking legal advice on a fishing bulletin board

8/11/22 @ 11:15 AM
FishChip
USER SINCE 2/2/17

Has anyone actually submitted a violation tip to the DNR on guides that do this?

8/11/22 @ 10:56 AM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

I believe the intent of the law is I have a possession limit and so does my guide. This is the daily limit of fish that person can keep. If he gives it away he cannot legally keep another limit. I don't  believe it was written to make it unlawful to give fish away. Definitely a grey area 

8/11/22 @ 10:46 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

Quote: Swamp buck:  4 of my friends give me their limit of fish they caught on the same day. Have I broken the law?

Yes, you have broken the law. You're never allowed more than 1 possession limit. In your scenario you have double that. This is true no matter if the State has issued you a license to fish or not, and regardless of your knowledge about fishing.

The law also states, I'm going to paraphrase, that you may not reduce into your possession more than 1 daily limit of fish, per day. This is the point that TheIceMan made below, and what needs further DNR clarification. If, on the same day, you reduce your daily limit into your possession and your guides daily limit into your possession it appears you have violated the law to me.  

8/11/22 @ 9:50 AM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

What if I don't fish and know nothing about fishing. 4 of my friends give me their limit of fish they caught on the same day. Have I broken the law? I say no. Do I need a fishing license to keep fish someone gave to me? Or does that mean I poached them? If I catch a limit and the guide gives me his limit I don't believe it morphs into my daily limit. Its my limit and his limit given to me. Not 1 limit but 2 separate limits  IMHO

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 149 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.