MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Fish Limits with a guide

5/22/22 @ 9:50 PM
INITIAL POST
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
User since 9/2/20

Looking at all the fishing reports has me researching and unable to find the answer.   When fishing with a guide, do customers get to keep the guide‘s limit as well?  As if the guide may donate their portion of the total boat possession to the customer?

Displaying 20 to 29 of 150 posts
8/17/22 @ 3:54 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Not mine, The people of Wisconsin. They asked for this and approved it at the 2021 Spring Conservation Congress Hearing by over a 2:1 margin. Resolution # 070220.

8/17/22 @ 3:37 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Well I don't want to step all over your Crusade to make fishing equitable or whatever

... so carry on

8/17/22 @ 2:18 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Regulations governing fishing have at least as much of a social component as biological.  Without that social component we could allow one commercial fisherman to take the entire harvestable population in one or two days. It'd make no biological difference if it was done that way, or by 100's of recreational fishermen over an entire fishing season. (I was told this by a DNR fisheries biologist BTW)

I think what we're asking for here is a social change that would allow for a more equitable harvest spread out over a larger group and create more fishing opportunities for more people. We're also seeing more and more people question the ethics of taking home two limits of fish per day, one being from a person you paid to take you fishing. The ethics of meat-hording in your freezer and overall conservation of fisheries are also being questioned here.

Other states have realized this and taken action to eliminate it. Time for Wisconsin to make some changes! It'd be great if someone, or some group, could make an organized effort to make this happen (Walleye's for Tomorrow?) I'd sure help write letters or anything else to make this work. I just have no experience or knowledge on how to make something like this happen.

8/17/22 @ 1:43 PM
nihsif
nihsif

I don't know how many guides are gifting fish ( every day ?? ) , does anyone else know?

how can it be an issue if you cannot quantify it?

I would bet that local wardens know the guides in their regions ( at least the successful ones )  

... I would also bet that IF they thought gifting was hurting the resource, they would probably contact their local guides first to see if it was the gifting hurting the resource....

.... or violators ( which is a way bigger problem than this subject )... of course that's my opinion, but have read about violators caught by the DNR  

.....there's almost professional violators that end up selling their fish to unscrupulous fish wholesalers and markets ... talking 100's and 100's of fish on a regular basis

8/17/22 @ 1:00 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I mostly agree, Badger. Freezers for too many are nothing more than prolonged wasting machines. People can somehow justify throwing out those two year old fillets to make room for more. 

There is no more damnable sin in the outdoors than wanton waste. 

8/17/22 @ 12:26 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I would love possession limit in WI to be the same as daily bag.  Would limit meat hogs greatly and end the gifting fish issue.  If people like eating fish so much they can just eat them as they catch them to avoid the issue.  I've seen too many freezers with 2 year old freezer burnt fillets anyway.  Throwing fillets away of a fish that could still be alive is quite disgusting to be honest.  

8/17/22 @ 11:59 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

It's perfectly legal to give away your total daily bag each day and retain zero in your possession provided you accept no form of compensation in return. You can argue the ethics of it all day long but it is perfectly legal. 

8/17/22 @ 9:58 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Can I keep my limit of 5 walleye every day and give them away to friends each day?

8/17/22 @ 9:43 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

nihsif said:  "this was brought up earlier by Fish Hound.. about how Charter fishermen on lake Michigan have to fill out daily surveys...I totally agree that would be good information for OUR DNR..    ...comments like the DNR doesn't care are not helpful, and frankly are offensive"

I apologize for offending you nihsif. I'd like to be more helpful. Can you give some ideas of how I can assist you in stopping guides from gifting fish to clients?

8/17/22 @ 9:02 AM
nihsif
nihsif

"I'd also like to see mandatory creel surveys for guides to see the true impact on the resource. It's minimal effort to record size and qty of fish kept per outing per person. That data would help the DNR to better manage limits and slots. You could even go so far as to have them fill out a form like some states do for game (Alaska's Transfer of Possession Form for example). "

..agree, this was brought up earlier by Fish Hound.. about how Charter fishermen on lake Michigan have to fill out daily surveys...I totally agree that would be good information for OUR DNR...

...comments like the DNR doesn't care are not helpful, and frankly are offensive

Displaying 20 to 29 of 150 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE