LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fish Limits with a guide

5/22/22 @ 9:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
USER SINCE 9/2/20

Looking at all the fishing reports has me researching and unable to find the answer.   When fishing with a guide, do customers get to keep the guide‘s limit as well?  As if the guide may donate their portion of the total boat possession to the customer?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 137 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/17/22 @ 12:26 PM
badgerstatehunter
USER SINCE 2/6/06

I would love possession limit in WI to be the same as daily bag.  Would limit meat hogs greatly and end the gifting fish issue.  If people like eating fish so much they can just eat them as they catch them to avoid the issue.  I've seen too many freezers with 2 year old freezer burnt fillets anyway.  Throwing fillets away of a fish that could still be alive is quite disgusting to be honest.  

8/17/22 @ 11:59 AM
amaranthlost
USER SINCE 5/31/10

It's perfectly legal to give away your total daily bag each day and retain zero in your possession provided you accept no form of compensation in return. You can argue the ethics of it all day long but it is perfectly legal. 

8/17/22 @ 9:58 AM
ayeFeesh
USER SINCE 5/17/11

Can I keep my limit of 5 walleye every day and give them away to friends each day?

8/17/22 @ 9:43 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

nihsif said:  "this was brought up earlier by Fish Hound.. about how Charter fishermen on lake Michigan have to fill out daily surveys...I totally agree that would be good information for OUR DNR..    ...comments like the DNR doesn't care are not helpful, and frankly are offensive"

I apologize for offending you nihsif. I'd like to be more helpful. Can you give some ideas of how I can assist you in stopping guides from gifting fish to clients?

8/17/22 @ 9:02 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

"I'd also like to see mandatory creel surveys for guides to see the true impact on the resource. It's minimal effort to record size and qty of fish kept per outing per person. That data would help the DNR to better manage limits and slots. You could even go so far as to have them fill out a form like some states do for game (Alaska's Transfer of Possession Form for example). "

..agree, this was brought up earlier by Fish Hound.. about how Charter fishermen on lake Michigan have to fill out daily surveys...I totally agree that would be good information for OUR DNR...

...comments like the DNR doesn't care are not helpful, and frankly are offensive

8/16/22 @ 5:56 PM
amaranthlost
USER SINCE 5/31/10

It was intended as a reference for how they handle gifting of fish in general, not same day by a guide. The point is that other states have a method to handle and track the gifting of fish and game that could easily be adopted by WI. 

8/16/22 @ 5:10 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

In MN the possession limit is equal to the daily bag limit, thus making it impossible for a guide to gift any fish to a client who has caught his own limit.

8/16/22 @ 4:24 PM
amaranthlost
USER SINCE 5/31/10

I would not be averse to barring guides from gifting their catch while they are working, a lot of folks wouldn't. I'd also like to see mandatory creel surveys for guides to see the true impact on the resource. It's minimal effort to record size and qty of fish kept per outing per person. That data would help the DNR to better manage limits and slots. You could even go so far as to have them fill out a form like some states do for game (Alaska's Transfer of Possession Form for example). 

Minnesota has (or had?) a rule about how to gift fish to another individual where you had to have the original angler's name, address, and license number. 

8/16/22 @ 3:47 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

What it means is that our DNR doesn't really give a rats patooty about conservation. It's up to us to change that I guess.

In MI, MN, FL guides either aren't allowed to fish while under hire, or can't gift away their limits to clients who also caught limits. I'm not sure what other states this is also true. Why Wisconsin?  This should have been done away with when we made it illegal to shoot musky's with .22's. 

Maybe we can work together to make some changes.

8/16/22 @ 3:31 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

So the original gripe was a guide said that he 'had to' give his limit to his clients or the client would not book with him.  People thought that was shady.  Seems like you guys proved that to be the case since he pretty clearly hinted at being compensated, but its long deleted from here now.

All this stuff is hard to really follow or prove if you really dig into it.  Like I said earlier, if I keep a limit every day and go over my possession, I'm a poacher.  But if I give them all away, then I'm either a guide or a really good fisherman.  End result of fish taken is the same, one gets shamed and the other glorified.  Its all perspective and that's because the law as is, allows it for one case and not the other.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 137 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.