LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fish Limits with a guide

5/22/22 @ 9:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
USER SINCE 9/2/20

Looking at all the fishing reports has me researching and unable to find the answer.   When fishing with a guide, do customers get to keep the guide‘s limit as well?  As if the guide may donate their portion of the total boat possession to the customer?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 151 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/18/22 @ 6:38 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER SINCE 8/29/06

This conversation reminds me why I enjoy Erie so much.

8/18/22 @ 10:55 AM
badgerstatehunter
USER SINCE 2/6/06

Steelhead technically if they're caught the prior date and eaten the next, they don't count towards the daily or possession limit from the next day's catch at all.  Any not eaten would count towards possession limit but not daily.  To be honest I don't hate this as much.  But I wonder how many "shore lunches" are disposed of from fish caught same day and a full limit was still taken home, which would be illegal but hard to prove without photo/video documentation.  

8/18/22 @ 10:38 AM
Steelhead88
USER SINCE 4/13/22

How about the guide who posted on here during this last spring walleye bite that he didn’t have any clients on a particular day so he was fishing solo to catch fish for the next days clients shore  lunch. Where would any fish caught for the next days shore lunch fit it into daily limits? Never heard off any shore lunch like that 

8/18/22 @ 10:13 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

Is the experience of fishing with a guide exactly that, an experience? A way to learn how to fish, a fun day on the water, an appreciation for nature and gain an understanding of conservation?

Or, is it a loop-hole in the law and a way to pay for a double limit of meat?

If it's the latter we got some problems. Just eliminate that aspect and all's good.

8/18/22 @ 9:56 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

not everyone owns a fancy boat with all the latest electronics... and those that do, most probably don't know how to effectively use them...and you still have to figure out how to catch them...

..I see we've degenerated into calling names...tsk tsk

8/18/22 @ 9:42 AM
amaranthlost
USER SINCE 5/31/10

Some people only fish a few times a year so I can understand why they would accept the guides total daily bag as well as their own, especially if they are on vacation and are going out for just the day. 

8/18/22 @ 9:19 AM
Wright6
USER SINCE 2/5/14

Quack, 

In all reality that large segment you talk about has gotten quite a bit smaller as the technology gets better and better.  With the electronics available, the equipment, depth curve charts easily available on your phone it doesn't make it that difficult for someone to go out and be successful assuming that the fish are there.  I really feel that limits across the board are going to have to be cut for every species.

8/18/22 @ 9:18 AM
no-luck
USER SINCE 12/14/12

Thing is, I don't understand why anyone would accept fish from a guide.  Especially if either party has caught their limit.  Most states have the possession limit as double their daily limit, so unless one eats fish that night, one is done fishing for the trip.

8/18/22 @ 8:23 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

I'm sure the meat hoarders and haters-of-change will be throwing all kinds of accusations around now. FYI the ideas I presented were at the suggestion of another DNR fisheries staff as the best course of action to make change. However that's not to suggest that creel surveys or data collection are a bad idea at all.

Also, thanks for posting Dave M., although I'm not sure what your post means, could you explain it a little bit more?  

8/17/22 @ 10:38 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
USER SINCE 1/16/11

I see the social justice argument has now morphed over to fish limits and creating a more equitable harvest. In reality a large segment of the angling population can't manage to catch a legal walleye let alone a limit on a good day. Reducing the harvest of a specific group of anglers won't make a poor angler any better. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 151 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.