MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Favorite Fall Smallmouth Lure

9/27/19 @ 10:33 AM
INITIAL POST
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09

I know this is probably better on the Bass thread, but that thread gets very little traffic.  

Just curious what your guys go to lure is for fall smallmouth?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/13/19 @ 8:25 AM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

Flies always.

10/4/19 @ 8:25 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Drop shot or Ned Rig

10/3/19 @ 7:01 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

So much of it is time spent on the water where you fish most to see what fish want. Where in the state it is, water clarity, temp, depth, time of day, etc.The water I fish is stained, and it's a flowage. I fished SM 2x in the last week. Fluke was the go to both days. One day, it was bringing it off the shallow bank into deep water, then letting it die, and the fish were hammering it on the next twitch. The other day the fish were in shallower water, and they wanted it twitched super fast on the surface. Each day however the strikes were incredible, damn near pulling the rod out of my hands. Lots of ways to fish flukes to. I usually go weightless or drop shot them, depending on the situation, though at times I'll weight them to fish deeper if I dont want to drop shot.

Whoever mentioned crankbaits is spot on also. 3 of the 4 biggest SM I have ever caught came on a crankbaits in the fall. I generally catch fewer fish on a cranks in the fall where I fish, but the ones I get are usually big, 18-21". Crankbait style and retrieve always seem to matter quite a bit though. Fall is a great time for smallies!

10/3/19 @ 2:34 PM
smbrickner
User since 4/16/09

My go to has always been a lipless crankbait in the fall.

10/3/19 @ 8:44 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Drop shot.  Hands down.

There is a key element to all three mentioned.

Slow.

I like to shake the drop shot and let it sit there.  No movement.  That is usually when it gets hit.

Flukes are worked best slowly.

And jerk baits have their time and place, but I love them when I can rip them, then let it suspend in the water.

9/27/19 @ 11:35 AM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

Depends, but fluke alot of the time.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE