SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Eating sheepshead/drum

6/24/19 @ 9:32 PM
INITIAL POST
missippimugs
User since 9/14/16

I heard that they are good eating. I caught a small one and cut it up. It was fine. Not great but better than tilapia. Any thoughts on bigger fish? Maybe brine?

Displaying 31 to 45 of 46 posts
7/9/19 @ 7:28 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Same as any other fish GRANDAD. I clean smaller ones to eat. Let the big ones go.

7/2/19 @ 7:16 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

How do you cook one of these 10lb. Slobs!Great fighters but I’ll pass on the table fair!

6/29/19 @ 10:24 PM
90brian90
User since 3/30/15

Not bad, definitely better out of cold water. The bluegill and perch size ones ate the best.

6/29/19 @ 10:13 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

They are good from clean water and if kept on ice until cleaned. I don't keep any that have a yellowish tint to the belly, which are the bigger ones. But if it's good and white, they've saved the day a couple times. Breaded and fried it's as good as any other fish.

6/29/19 @ 7:58 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

I know a guy who eats them. Says they taste like cod.

6/29/19 @ 5:40 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

In all honesty, they are about as good as anything. I don’t keep them regularly, but often have coworkers hounding me to bring them walleye. Multiple times I have filleted up sheeps and given them away with a “walleye” label on them. I’ve never gotten anything other than a glowing review of how delicious the “walleye” were. Keep in mind most of these people cannot visibly tell the difference between a walleye and sheep fillet, which would be obvious to anyone who cleans fish regularly. 

6/29/19 @ 4:22 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Many years ago I had a girlfriend who thought I was a fisherman because I have a fanatical love for the taste of fish. She bought freshwater drum at a fish market. It was OK. I've heard out of cold water it's very good....ALSO my guess is that "preferred" table fish bag limits continue to shrink we'll be keeping more sheepshead.

Had my first SALTWATER sheepshead this winter. Very good.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 46 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE