Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Eating sheepshead/drum

6/24/19 @ 8:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
missippimugs
User since 9/14/16

I heard that they are good eating. I caught a small one and cut it up. It was fine. Not great but better than tilapia. Any thoughts on bigger fish? Maybe brine?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 45 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/7/20 @ 7:55 PM
Mr.Seaguar
User since 2/5/05

I fished with a fella from China who said drum were the best tasting freshwater fish. I didn't argue, he has 3 doctorates, speaks 9 languages, has fished on 5 continents and probably knew what he was talking about. 

11/5/20 @ 5:19 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Just to make sure that no one misunderstood my post, you don’t soak your fillets in vinegar overnight or anything...

Once you’re done rinsing your fillets, and have your fillets in a bowl of water, add a few ounces of vinegar, and swirl the fish around with your fingers, you don’t have to do it for very long, maybe a minute or so.

You will notice the sliminess go  away almost immediately.

After that, dump the water in the bowl out, and rinse your fillets again with fresh water.

Once you’ve rinsed all the vinegar off, place them in a bowl of water, with a generous amount of ice on top, and put them in the refrigerator overnight.

This will even firm up crappies caught in 80° water.

I use vinegar when rinsing all of my fillets, it really does work well. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/5/20 @ 5:01 PM
Hogman2010
Hogman2010
User since 11/5/20

Im sure they would leave a mark

11/5/20 @ 1:50 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

How did you like the teeth on that fish Hogman?  

I caught one like that casting for musky on a river... Nasty chompers!

11/5/20 @ 12:55 PM
Hogman2010
Hogman2010
User since 11/5/20

Caught this dogfish/ bowfin on the Wolf this summer north of Red Banks. Didnt know at the time they are good to eat if eaten fresh.

11/5/20 @ 11:49 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

Not my fish, was trying to find a photo of a slimy pike and came across it that looked neat, never saw that before... I'm sure it was Ph Fat !!!

My Mom would get a plastic small barrel of fresh salted herring to make Christmas Eve Lithuanian tomato/onion herring called Silkes...

Guys, it's literally like fish candy... 

My Mom would soak the herring in milk after rinsing off all the salt...

Cook down the thin onions with the minced carrot, tomato paste, bay leaf oil, peppercorns and diced tomatoes! Add the big one inch slices of herring, then chill overnight and serve that evening for Christmas Eve dinner as part of the other 12 different dishes being served each year... (first there were 9 according to the ancient 9 month calendar, then 13 for the lunar months, now 12 for the solar months) We'd have smoked eel and sable, maybe pike, pike croquettes, potato and beet salads, pasta leaves w/ minced onion mushrooms, fried stuffed eggs, light rye bread, holy wafers, poppyseed milk, cranberry pudding...

11/5/20 @ 8:19 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Phat, is that a northern you caught? I would feel so bad cutting one open and having a couple ducklings like that spill out. Goes to show just how ravenous they are. If that is one you caught, do you have any before pics?

I'll have to try that vinegar trick. I don't tend to deal with soft/mushy fillets, but I'm also keeping them on ice and then rinsing the fillets in ice water. I think I'll take some advice offered and use a few bowls for first and last rinse.  

Hope the fish are biting on Saturday so I can try this out!

11/5/20 @ 6:25 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

The vinegar information is interesting and I will have to give a try.  

In the past when I have pulled fish out of freezer that might be past there prime.  After trimming anything that looks freezer burnt.  I soak fish in buttermilk over nite in refrig in glass container, never metal.   I don't understand why it fixes the fish but it does.  Fishy smell is gone and flesh is firmed up.  8 hours does it.  Quick rinse, straight to breading and fryer.

11/4/20 @ 6:30 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Pike too!     CARPIO 

11/4/20 @ 3:59 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

Does that vinegar trick work on pike also... Slimy Little Mothas...  

( I have to rinse those pike at least twice as much as others ! Even more than that !!! )

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 45 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.