PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

If anyone is interested.   Racine journal times.    CARPIO 

Eating Mississippi R fish photo by Carpio
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
8/30/22 @ 12:01 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

A story I think is funny.

I have a Neuromuscular disease, a genetic thing that trickled down the family tree. It took my ability to walk at a young age. That's not the funny part.

In the late 1980's I used to guide on the Sugar Camp Chain of lakes. I'd hang out in the resort taprooms to introduce myself to potential clients. This was about the time the State introduced the first mercury guidelines. The topic was immediately debated amongst the locals and yours truly, being a innocent, boasting young lad and not being totally aware of my surroundings interrupts the debate by saying, "I've been eating the fish out of these lakes all of my life and there is nothing wrong with me!"

For about five full seconds, as I sat there in my wheelchair, you could have heard a pin drop. Then everyone in the bar busted out laughing after which the talk shifted over to the Brewers.

It was a different time and I was a young, uneducated blowhard. I'm just older now.

8/30/22 @ 8:05 AM
Duke M
User since 1/12/09

I am of the opinion that it is hundreds of times more dangerous driving to and from the river than it is eating the fish.

8/26/22 @ 2:49 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Thanks everyone. I'm aware of the consumption advisories, I only eat one meal of panfish per week max. Probably around 30 meals per year (so 30 weeks I cook fish). Just curious what else the article had to say.

8/26/22 @ 1:20 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

fishhunt, every link to the paper requires a subscription, so I didn't find

I posted this before, and if you look under

Find advice for your fishing spot

you can click on online query tool to select the water that you'll be fishing, and you'll get the information on any advisory data on consumption, plus a general "all other water" information

it is organized by county, so plug in the county and waters with advisories will be in the "Advisory Area" box when you click on it

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/consumption

8/26/22 @ 1:11 PM
nihsif
nihsif

Dad's french toast recipe is basically an egg wash and flour deal

egg wash was basically eggs, a splash of milk for each egg, some salt n pepper, and a dash or 2 of vanilla or a few pinches of sugar...

whip it up, then fillets in wash, roll in flour, fry

I suspect that's his mom's french toast recipe for the wash, nothing fancy, but the fish disappered faster than I could fill the serving plate

8/26/22 @ 6:39 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Too hard for me to read the article, anyone have a link to it online? I eat several hundred Mississippi River fillets each year.

8/26/22 @ 6:11 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Hey Bob, That French Toast recipe sounds interesting! With potato pancakes , Syrup would go nice with it. 

8/25/22 @ 4:49 PM
Carpio
Carpio

NIH.   Send recipie.       CARPIO 

8/25/22 @ 4:47 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

It's homemade,  I say low salt but she uses townhouse crackers,  not Ritz. I found out the hard way hahaha. I know my fingers don't swell up after eating it, can't say the same for shore lunch.  I'll get it from her and put it on the recipe thread.

8/25/22 @ 9:56 AM
nihsif
nihsif

is that a commercial breading or home made... only make fish on our fishing trips, and my Dad's old "french toast" recipe is great, but a change of pace might be nice...

8/24/22 @ 9:24 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

My wife has a low salt breading that will be going on the perch I caught for her yesterday,  she uses parmigiana in it.

8/24/22 @ 9:09 PM
OJenJenO
OJenJenO
PRO MEMBER User since 2/3/12

Just had some perch and blue gill from the Mississippi the other day and they were delicious.

8/24/22 @ 12:11 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

When I eat fish from the Mississippi River I like to use Louisiana Fish-Fry in Cajun. Sometimes I will mix in a little Italian Bread crumbs too. Then again, Largemouth on the half shell is pretty tasty too. Just a little Everglades seasoning, a couple pats of butter, and a spritz of fresh lemon juice just before digging in. Healthier too.

8/24/22 @ 9:52 AM
nihsif
nihsif

good topic... here's a link to several DNR publications and searches on the topic

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/consumption

8/23/22 @ 7:06 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Hookay.   

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE