MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

If anyone is interested.   Racine journal times.    CARPIO 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/24/22 @ 8:14 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

POPs are human-made organic chemicals that take a long time to break down... POPs can build up in animal tissue... Fatty fish can contain high amounts of POPs...

POPs are also known as:

Persistent, bio-accumulative and toxic (PBT)

• toxic organic micropollutants (TOMP)

POPs include:

• pesticides
  • pharmaceuticals
  • industrial chemicals

The same article states that POPs can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes in humans. POPs do this by affecting insulin... Insulin controls the body’s blood sugars...

Another study Trusted Source looking at POPs in indigenous communities where the people eat a lot of wild fish found an increase in type 2 diabetes...

POPs may can also cause neurotoxicity Trusted Source... Neurotoxicity may increase the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease...

A recent study found that wild Atlantic salmon contained higher levels of POPs than farmed salmon... This may be because their environment is uncontrolled and due to pollutants in the oceans...

A study looking at farmed Norwegian Atlantic salmon found levels of some POPs and pesticides were decreasing...

It appears that farmed salmon may contain fewer POPs than wild salmon... However, this is dependent on the type of the fishmeal that farmed salmon eat...                              According to the Eviron- mental Working  Group (EWG), in 2003 farm-raised fish contained 5–10 times more of a POP called polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) than wild salmon...

If choosing farmed salmon, it is beneficial to find a reputable, responsible, and sustainably-raised source...

Heavy metals, such as mercury can create oxidative stress in the human body... Oxidative stress can cause damage to the cells, which can, in turn, cause a variety of health conditions...

Other heavy metals in fish include:

• arsenic
  • cadmium
  • lead
  • mercury

One study found that wild Atlantic salmon contained more mercury than farmed Atlantic salmon...

All salmon have some level of mercury in their tissues... The omega-3s in salmon may help prevent the mercury causing damage...

Fish farmers sometimes give the salmon antibiotics and drugs Trusted Source to keep them in good health... Some people have concerns that the use of antibiotics could increase human antibiotic resistance...

Wild salmon have less exposure to animal drugs than farmed salmon...

Choosing wild salmon is the safest option for people who are worried about ingesting animal drugs...

8/30/22 @ 11:12 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

Gee G !!! I can't stop laughing!!! Sorry .. That's such a funny story!!!  I feel you buddy... For me, it's just getting there... I can stand and fish and sit... But I got to pee much too often also... I'm still twitchin' so I have the heart... An it's big!

You definitely have my heart G!

PW

Really struggled for this one!

8/30/22 @ 11:01 AM
Gimper
USER SINCE 11/27/01

A story I think is funny.

I have a Neuromuscular disease, a genetic thing that trickled down the family tree. It took my ability to walk at a young age. That's not the funny part.

In the late 1980's I used to guide on the Sugar Camp Chain of lakes. I'd hang out in the resort taprooms to introduce myself to potential clients. This was about the time the State introduced the first mercury guidelines. The topic was immediately debated amongst the locals and yours truly, being a innocent, boasting young lad and not being totally aware of my surroundings interrupts the debate by saying, "I've been eating the fish out of these lakes all of my life and there is nothing wrong with me!"

For about five full seconds, as I sat there in my wheelchair, you could have heard a pin drop. Then everyone in the bar busted out laughing after which the talk shifted over to the Brewers.

It was a different time and I was a young, uneducated blowhard. I'm just older now.

8/30/22 @ 10:13 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

I'm glad this thread came up, thank you Carpio, it's good to learn about things especially if you can cross-reference what you think you already know...  I never paid any attention as a kid, and I'm sure I didn't eat as much seafood as I do now, and still it isn't that much... 

Wisconsin has a very detailed description of which fish from where... And reading the regs. I just figured I really don't eat fish from certain waters and favor fish from northern parts, especially when it's rivers... In Illinois, only fish from certain lakes... 

BUT, I buy both fresh + ocean fish, shrimp, canned tuna, sardines, as well as dining out, fish fry, shrimp, as well as fast food... Probably double if not triple the amount I ate as a kid... 

Recently I had some mighty fine fish fry's and I can be satisfied with one portion cut in 3, fries, slaw, & tartar sauce!

I mostly catch and release, and I haven't fished since 2017... It's a real pain literally... Even tried crutches, but I got to fish and it was a blast... Might have to get a scooter, already got a SUV... I'd go all the time!!!

Lol Haha ha ha...  Anyway, I looked at that list of Mercury, and by the way, it's invisible and it's in the flesh, but there are other chemicals besides it so I choose to do less damage to my body as I can... I love to fish and everything about it...

If I had to go, I'd like to go when fishing and I use to say, even if I can move or talk, just wheel me to a great spot I told you about, cast a decent lure out and stick the pole under my arm... Promise, no matter what anyone says, even if they say just the guy alone... I would be so happy there!

When it suggests AT LEAST 2-3 servings a week of 3.5 ounces,  I read 8 -12oz of lowest fish contamination so 3 × 3.5 =10.5 I'm figuring the sable, snapper, halibut, mahi mahi + sea bass, I will eat no more than once a week and the portion cut in 3, and limit my shrimp, tuna, and fast food and fish fry per week when I don't have a fish fry of ocean fish at home... I will plan so if going to a restaurant if I have lobster, crab, or fish keeping a mental note of what I eat(ing) weekly...

Now it's much easier knowing what I can eat, eat weekly, and what to make a mental note of and what to avoid... I don't eat/like talapia and orange roughy I've avoided all this time for some reason... I had, marlin, swordfish, shark a couple times and I haven't tried tuna yet, but I want to... No biggie if I don't... Maybe once... But I'm glad I can move forward with the knowledge confidently...

Oh, I really LOVE to fish... AND eating fish and shellfish too !

8/30/22 @ 7:05 AM
Duke M
USER SINCE 1/12/09

I am of the opinion that it is hundreds of times more dangerous driving to and from the river than it is eating the fish.

8/29/22 @ 9:07 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

Seafood w/ Lowest Mercury Eat 2-3 times a week...

Anchovies                          Atlantic croaker            Atlantic chub mackerel  Pacific chub mackerel      Black sea bass          Butterfish                        Catfish                              Clams                                    Cod                                      Crab                              Crawfish                      Flounder                Freshwater trout        Haddock                            Hake                                Herring                      American spiny lobster      Mullet                              Oyster                                Perch                            Pickerel                            Plaice                              Pollack                          Salmon                        Sardines                      Scallops                              Shad                                Shrimp                              Skate                                  Smelt                                    Sole                                    Squid (calamari)            Tilapia                                Tuna (canned light, skipjack)                      Whitefish                        Whiting

Fish w/ Moderate Mercury Eat 1 serving per week...

Bluefish                                Buffalo fish                            Carp                                    Chilean sea bass            Grouper                            Halibut                                    Mahi mahi                        Monkfish                          Rockfish                          Sablefish                  Sheepshead                      Snapper                            Spanish mackerel          Stripped bass                      Tilefish                                    Tuna (albacore/white tuna, fresh, canned or frozen)      Yellow fin tuna      Weakfish/sea trout            White croaker/Pacific croaker

Fish w/ Highest Mercury... Fish to avoid...

Bigeye tuna                            King mackerel                    Marlin                                Orange roughy                    Shark                              Swordfish                          Tilefish (Gulf of Mexico)

8/26/22 @ 2:02 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

Fish consumption advisories are issued at the state level, so different agencies can offer conflicting advice...

The Food and Drug Administration regulates commercially sold fish, but it does not claim jurisdiction over sport-caught fish...

The lack of clarity makes it difficult to make informed health decisions along the shared body of water, experts say — particularly for people who catch and eat fish in multiple states...

8/26/22 @ 1:51 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

Methylmercury — the most poisonous among the mercury compounds — is formed when inorganic mercury is dissolved in both freshwater and seawater... The cascade begins when this toxic compound becomes embedded into the food chain after being consumed by phytoplankton, a single-celled alga, which is then consumed by smaller animals...

Particularly problematic because the smaller fish shed nonorganic mercury as waste, while methyl mercury is retained... As we move up the food chain, smaller fish are consumed by larger fish and those fish are consumed by even bigger fish — all retaining methyl mercury until it makes its way to humans in a process called biomagnification...

The concern around mercury toxicity is not solely limited to just developing nations — the effects are far-reaching and relevant for all people around the globe...

It has shown that high levels of mercury can damage the central nervous system and pose deleterious effects on the brain — specifically, decreased attention and memory as well as symptoms such as trembling and impaired vision... 

Studies have linked high mercury exposure to an increased risk of heart disease... Researchers think this is due to mercury's ability to increase the production of free radicals while reducing antioxidants in the body, which results in oxidative stress...

Mercury can also potentially be harmful to developing babies...

Seafood, in moderation, can and should be a part of a balanced eating plan thanks to the anti-inflammatory omega-3s and lean protein in fish... 

In fact, the American Heart Association recommends eating at least two 3.5-ounce servings of fish a week — so choose wisely!

8/26/22 @ 1:49 PM
fishnhunt14
USER SINCE 4/17/07

Thanks everyone. I'm aware of the consumption advisories, I only eat one meal of panfish per week max. Probably around 30 meals per year (so 30 weeks I cook fish). Just curious what else the article had to say.

8/26/22 @ 12:20 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

fishhunt, every link to the paper requires a subscription, so I didn't find

I posted this before, and if you look under

Find advice for your fishing spot

you can click on online query tool to select the water that you'll be fishing, and you'll get the information on any advisory data on consumption, plus a general "all other water" information

it is organized by county, so plug in the county and waters with advisories will be in the "Advisory Area" box when you click on it

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/consumption

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.