SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

discussing trash

9/29/21 @ 8:27 PM
INITIAL POST
woodyeckes
User since 3/17/14

Everywhere I fish there seems to be some litter...I have no solution to reduce or eliminate it but I do have a personal outlook on it to pass on to you.  I have been carrying a couple of plastic bags that we all accumulate from the stores we frequent and picking up our fellow mans mess.  Why you ask?  I like the feeling I get from taking care of the places I go to....and I think it makes the fish bite better!!  I also have found several nice baits lurking amongst the weeds and last Sunday an ultralight Mitchell spinning rod with the tip broke off that I believe will function better shortened up.  I know you or I did not make that mess but I know we can pick some of it up.  My result has been better fishing, tell me what yours' turns out to be.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
5/20/22 @ 1:53 PM
kmanster
kmanster
User since 7/5/06

I live in So. East WI and live close to a popular salmon river.  During the runs, the people come, fish and leave a lot of trash.  I do my part to pick up after others....Great post and let's try and keep it at the top of the list :)  Thanks to all those that do their part.

3/20/22 @ 8:51 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20

Here is an event to help clean up the rivers and a picnic! 

https://fwwa.org/2022/01/25/sponsor-the-2022-fox-wolf-watershed-cleanup/

3/19/22 @ 11:12 AM
MrGloomis
User since 1/12/08

Ya, I also do the right thing. If I see trash, I pick it up. Have you ever been out fishing and see an unopened can of beer? Half floating wine bottle? Wads of mono? Broken wakeboard? Shirts drifting in the wind? Needless to say, my little garbage can in the boat is usually full of trash I've picked out of the water. Just do the right thing and the fish will bite!

3/16/22 @ 6:19 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

The flag tape left in the woods is over used and ridiculous. Its bad enough that hunters use so  much of it HOWEVER the Big offenders include the forest service when they mark out a timber sale and they leave it there never clean up after the sale is complete. While grouse hunting or scouting I always bring home pocket full of other peoples old brittle tape.

3/16/22 @ 3:25 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

bad parenting... parents lead by example

3/16/22 @ 9:34 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

Off subject, but finding a deflated balloon is supposed to be a sign of a Big Buck Bedding area.  It indicates thermols pulling down in that spot.

3/16/22 @ 8:22 AM
Tealioitis
User since 4/5/13

Good posts. I never litter either. I don’t know if it’s a scout motto or what but I believe in the leave no trace when enjoying the outdoors.   Couple things that irk me are the people who find it necessary to leave fluorescent tape every feet to mark a trail. Ever hear of gps or a compass?Another one is the feel good balloon release. You’re just littering and yes I do find deflated balloons in the middle of nowhere.

3/15/22 @ 10:08 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I never litter but also never really pick up anyones trash either...I just threw garbage bags in my tackle box and the glove box of my utv..I'm in I will start doing my part.  Your post has at least encouraged this guy to pick up in hopes my young children can enjoy what I have for the least 35 years. 

Thank u

3/15/22 @ 8:47 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

Imagine thinking that taxpayer funded surveillance is the answer to litter. 1984 was not an instruction manual 

3/15/22 @ 1:11 PM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

As sad as it is, putting cameras at the launch will just force people to dump a little further down the road.  A lot of the crap you see at the launch is from people who are too cheap to pay for garbage service or go to the dump after the weekend at the lake. Millionaires in many cases!

I commend all of you guys picking up trash!  I need to do a better job of that.  I have looked at litter and cussed out of disgust, but rarely have I taken the initiative to actually pick up after someone.  I have done it more so on the ice than at the launch.

3/15/22 @ 12:47 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

I hate having big brother watch everything, but I'm all for cameras at public launches,  fishing spots and so on.  And anyone caught littering or dumping trash,  loss of any hunting or fishing privileges for minimum 5 years and 2nd offense is life. Just the thought of being on tape will probably end much of this BS. I would gladly donate $$ each year to help pay for the equipment to monitor such places.

3/15/22 @ 9:06 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

I am increasingly confused and saddened at the amount of trash I find while fishing and grouse hunting. Shoreline trash is a constant. People leave all kinds of trash and it’s one reason we are losing access to many places. What really amazes me is the trash and refuse I find in the middle of the grouse woods miles from a road. I’ve found mattresses, clothing, bags of garbage, household appliances like ovens and stove tops, plastic buckets, a kids scrapped swing set. You name it. I don’t understand it because it seems like a ton of work to drag it all the way into the woods instead of disposing of it the right way. 

I pick up a lot of trash when I’m out in the woods. I go to the lakes and woods to get away from the mess I see in the city. 

2/28/22 @ 12:50 AM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Sadly, if whatever agency is in charge of a particular public access area provides trash cans, the locals end up dumping piles of household trash in them, which leads to more and more places not being provided with trash cans.  Those locals who treat public trash cans as shortcuts to proper disposal of their own messes at home are every bit as much of the problem as the actual litterers.  I pick up other people's trash too, if the job isn't too daunting for me.

And the smokers:  In my entire life (64 years), I've met exactly THREE smokers who don't consider the whole world to be their ashtray.  I'm glad to see a couple more among the posters here who take their cigarette butts with them.

11/10/21 @ 11:09 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Can or no can. My trash if I have any will always leave with me.. 

Maybe I should have been more sivil in my kicked post. just how I sometimes feel about it. Besides just ignoring the problem isn't going to change it. As for the lunch break trash in the truck box not a good idea.

I think the littering bugs are out numbering us.

I guess if someone was always picking up after me I would just leave it.    NO NOT HAPPENING...

IM GOING CRAZY TALKING TO MY SELF HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS. I'll JUST GO PICK UP SOMEONE'S TRASH LOL.

LET'S JUST KEEP TRYING TO KEEP IT CLEAN OUT THERE.

11/10/21 @ 9:47 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Good posts here. Most have the same idea I try to practice. Just pick the stuff up. If litter is left in the area the problem will always get worse. The Boy Scout in me is the same it was when I was 11 years old. Always leave a site cleaner than you found it. To "those who litter" what they toss no longer exists in their minds even if they are wading thru it in the walk past the garbage can.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE