Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Disabled fisher looking for ponds and lakes around Madison

7/31/20 @ 11:23 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Sacadelic
User since 7/31/20

Hi there.. a Disabled fisher here looking for ponds and lakes with relatively flat shores and banks With good water access.  I fish from a power wheelchair.  I’m targeting bass.  I have found a few, but looking for more fishing opportunities. Looking for around Madison/Dane county.  I am willing to travel a bit though. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Tight lines!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/1/20 @ 8:05 PM
chaw
User since 9/11/02

Big Ken I think that’s a great idea. Gray Fox who fishes Wind Lake was able to get a handrail installed on the pier after several calls to the DNR from Lake Link members, including myself. I would be happy to help in any way I can as it pertains to accommodation and making things easier for our disabled outdoorsmen and women. I think there are many out there so I’m glad you posted. 

I started a thread on the Campfire Discussion Forum which seems to get a little more traffic. 

8/1/20 @ 11:30 AM
Sacadelic
User since 7/31/20

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it greatly. I am familiar with Montello. I have kayaked there a few times. I I just see these guys in YouTube walking around beautiful ponds that are nice and flat without TONS of weeds and trees everywhere and I get jealous. One pond I fish just opened up a bunch of bank. But took away a bunch of habitat too. Thanks for the input. 

8/1/20 @ 9:33 AM
big ken
User since 6/3/06

As a fellow disabled sportsman, how do you make this a possible thread? Access, accommodations, equipment, locations, and even restaurants are a few topics I investigate before each trip. Handicap accessibility is not universal. 

As this community ages, more and more of us will be asking these questions for ourselves or others. 

8/1/20 @ 9:19 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I'm not familiar with any spots in the area, but the replies given so far, are 1 of the reasons I appreciate the folks on Lake-Link..

hope you find some new spots, and tight lines!

7/31/20 @ 6:30 PM
chaw
User since 9/11/02

Sacadelic if you’re willing to travel a bit head up to Montello and fish the dam. It’s about 40 minutes from Madison. There is a nice, flat pier that is wheelchair accessible and the fishing can be pretty decent. 

7/31/20 @ 12:39 PM
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10

Jenni & Kyle Preserve https://www.danecountyparks.com/park/JenniKylePreserve stocked with trout, bass and pan fish. Must be under 16 or have a disability. Use artificial bait or corn as they are sick of seeing worms and minnows.

7/31/20 @ 12:20 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06

Governor Nelson state park has a wheel chair accessible fishing pier. It's at the boat ramp with close parking. Water probably too warm now, but fall and spring should have good fishing.    

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.