SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Decent lake map app for Motorola

12/5/20 @ 12:25 PM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Looking for recommendations for a decent app to use that has good detail on depth and structure.  Doesn't have to be US wide, mainly WI and MN.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
12/15/20 @ 9:00 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Had a good weekend on Upper Red.  Walleyes cooperated nicely.  Also caught several Goldeyes - cousin to the Mooneye.  I would think the northerns and larger walleyes would keep them in check, since they look like a jumbo shiner....

Anyway, gave the Navionics a try.  I was happy with the detail, but not happy that I had to zoom in so far to get the detail, thus rendering the mapping nearly useless to try and look for structure to go and try.  To get any helpful mapping detail I had to zoom out and lose the structure detail.  Maybe I was doing something wrong?

12/9/20 @ 1:40 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Thanks guys.  I downloaded the 2-week trial of Navionics - it gives you access to all map layers.  Hope it's user-friendly.

Heading to Upper Red this weekend......can't wait!

12/7/20 @ 4:51 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Brother of the bush, you're right I didn't even think that the phone's gps may be in a different datum than my handheld GPS.  I have a program on my computer that I use sometimes to switch between datums to import into Google Earth. Google Earth is in lat/long and I think my gps is in State Plane, but I could be wrong.

12/7/20 @ 3:28 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Fishloveme, you have to look at which datum your phone or gps is using.  Same coordinate could be in different places depending on which datum your unit is using.  You may be able to switch the datum to match what your phone or gps is using.

12/6/20 @ 8:37 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I downloaded Navionics to my phone and saved a waypoint.  I also used Fishidy and saved the same waypoint, then lastly on my Lowrance H20 unit that I've had for 15 years.  The Lowrance was by far the most accurate, followed by the Fishidy app, and lastly the Navionics, which put my waypoint out in deep water! It was way off! Maybe the GPS in my phone is terrible, I don't know, but I don't trust my phone's GPS for accuracy. When ice fishing and trying to get right on a set of cribs, or a weedline or something, you might be off by 3 meters (about 10 feet), because I believe that's the overall accuracy of the GPS in our phones.  10 feet is quite a bit if you're trying to pinpoint a crib that might only be a couple feet wide.

12/6/20 @ 11:54 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I'll agree with Navionics. I find it to be fairly accurate for the lakes around southeast Wisconsin. Nothing perfect, but certainly gives you a great starting point.  I like that you can mark waypoints, do basic routing, etc. When I use it in conjunction with my graph, I have a pretty good picture of where I'm going. I don't often fish the same lake twice these days, so finding points and drops quickly is key for me.

12/6/20 @ 11:07 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

it has tracking and gps similar to many finders...I think you can also add on a transducer... but that is something I recall from awhile ago... I know we tested it alongside my mounted finder as far as tracking, mapping and waypoints, and it was spot on

12/6/20 @ 10:51 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

agree navionics but only for ice fishing i use it mostly to refind markers of waypoints i save on the app the app has a lot of features you can also measure distance on there like how far you have to go from launch to fishing spot. Everyone I know uses this app you can also get gps coordinates from friend's and add them to your saved markers.

12/5/20 @ 4:19 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

take a look at Navionics 

Edit: here's a link 

https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE