Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Carp Round-Up

6/1/16 @ 2:15 AM
ORIGNAL POST
JakeFromFishFarm
User since 5/1/16

I just saw that Fox River is having a carp round-up. I'll probably participate but first... Why is this round-up necessary? Are carp more prevalent in the Fox River Watershed than the rest of Wisconsin? Is this an annual population control thing? Is this even sanctioned by the DNR?

I know a lot of fishermen have prejudices against carp and in some cases that prejudice is justified. If I participate in this round-up, am I helping to control a population that might be growing too big or am I taking part in an extermination program of a stable population?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/22/20 @ 8:36 PM
smallcraft
User since 5/22/20

This is a long-time running event. definitely approved by the DNR.  FRCause, the group who puts on the RoundUp, stocks the Fox with approved fish, does river clean-ups and raises money to be used for the $1 bounties on the carp. The amount turned in is minuscule compared to the overwhelming number of carp in our river! 

6/13/16 @ 6:01 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

It was also just a good reason to have a party and drink some beer. I'm from the area, but didn't attend the Carp-Pro-Am. I could almost guarantee it ended up with a big ole Beer party!! LOL

6/13/16 @ 3:53 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

frcause.org

the sponsors of the roundup I believe

6/13/16 @ 10:07 AM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14

what ever came of this event ?  Anybody have any numbers ?  Was it a success ?

Chuck

6/2/16 @ 9:21 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Just a question...I was looking at what kind of bow to buy for bowfishing.  Fleet farm has a bowfishing bow without reel kit on sale for $129.00.  Would this be good enough seeing I can get the reel kit on sale for $70.  I see they sell the whole bow/arrow reel combo for $429.00, but that seems a little much.  Any opinions.

6/2/16 @ 5:02 PM
JakeFromFishFarm
User since 5/1/16

I know that. However, the common carp has been here long enough that most ecosystems where they've invaded have successfully absorbed them into their biomass. We've seen before that sometimes removing a species, even an invasive one, can case more damage. Many fish aren't native to this continent, including brown and rainbow trout, but they're accepted as part of our fisheries.

All across the United States, there's dissent about how to handle carp. In some places they're destructive and do need to be controlled. In others, their populations are stable and do no further harm to native species.

I just want to know if this Fox River roundup is to control a destructive population or if carp have been stabilized in that watershed. If they've been stabilized, then removing huge numbers of them could have unforeseen consequences.

I suppose only a DNR fisheries biologist would know for sure but I'll take local anglers best guesses.

6/2/16 @ 12:07 PM
Budman
User since 8/17/01

Carp are a non-native species that were imported from Europe. Carp cause a large amount of damage to native plants. If left unchecked, carp populations can explode.

6/2/16 @ 1:44 AM
JakeFromFishFarm
User since 5/1/16

They're pretty fun no matter how you catch them.

6/1/16 @ 6:05 PM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09
I know one thing, carp are a blast on a flyrod.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.