SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Brook Trout in Lake Michigan

3/1/21 @ 7:00 PM
INITIAL POST
jiggindahump
User since 1/13/09

Did the DNR ever follow through and stock Lake Michigan with Brook Trout in 2020?

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
3/5/21 @ 10:03 AM
riverrat61
riverrat61
User since 12/26/11

manitowoc and milwaukee rivers got brookies

none for sheboygan not sure about other tribs

you can look up all fish stocking data for WI on dnr website

3/4/21 @ 9:49 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I caught one back then too (80's). It was not a splake, like my friend caught ice fishing in Bay de Noc. I fish Kewaunee and caught a whitefish on a flutterspoon trolling for kings once too. I fished for coasters (shore oriented brookies that are native to the cold waters) by walking a miles long beach on Lake Superior, dragging a planer board 'till it got out a ways from shore. Nothing bit the small spoon I tried.

3/4/21 @ 9:26 AM
KOWZDEER
User since 4/25/09

this winter I caught a fingerling brook trout in the same tributary I also caught a fingerling steelhead. It was a beautiful fish.

3/4/21 @ 8:20 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

In the late 80's I caught a few brook trout like fish in the Milwaukee harbor.   I thought the fish were Splake.  A cross between brook trout and lake trout.  

3/4/21 @ 6:42 AM
JDs Customs
User since 9/16/20

Caught 1 this winter. Around 12” long. Pretty Fish! Still swimming.

3/3/21 @ 11:16 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

During 80s and early 90..Kenosha harbor had a population..some nice size too

Actually you cld see them. Rising to flies early mornings 

Some guys Actually tried for them wth fly tackle and wre successful 

3/3/21 @ 8:58 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

There were Brookies in Lake Michigan waters in the mid 80s.  An ex girlfriend caught one while we were fishing the Sturgeon Bay canal.  I also remember seeing them caught in the Oconto harbor around the same time frame.  Also saw them caught at the Kewaunee Nuclear Plant outflow - when we could still fish there. 

3/2/21 @ 1:22 PM
Skippy Lou
User since 2/24/14

The DNR stocked brookies in lake michigan this past fall

3/2/21 @ 6:48 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

Did you call the Milwaukee DNR office?

Edit: 414-263-8500

3/1/21 @ 11:00 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I've heard of them in Superior  , called coasters I think .  Never heard of anything in Michigan  . Probably not with Covid .

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE