Boundary Waters Trip (BWCA)

6/5/18 @ 9:39 AM
ORIGINAL POST
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

(Sorry this is Minnesota, no ones posts in the Minnesota forum)

Planning a 3-4 day trip this August with a group of guys. Heading up from the Minneapolis/Eau Claire area. I know many of you have made the trip before, so I'm looking for recommendations on outfitters, lakes, things to see, etc. Did you camp in a new spot each night? Is 3 days long enough? What species did you target?

We have all the equipment except for the canoe so we're looking for an outfitter primarily to provide this.

I'm thinking more of an intermediate trip, we did Sylvania two years ago with the portages averaging 1-2 miles and this was pretty easy. We set up camp and would venture out from there each day.

Feel free to share any stories and experiences!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
TODAY @ 12:54 PM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Public.     Too bad! No more solitude there. I went out of Ely in 1974. We outfitted with Cliff Wold. Very rustic accommodations but clean. We paddled 1 week north,then 1 week back and saw a total of about 10 people.we only used hair jigs,daredevils,and rapalas. Awesome fishing! Great time except for bears.  CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 10:57 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

What have you guys used for a minnow/leech bucket? Do you just use a normal bucket and suck it up on the portages?

Post Your Comment
6/28/18 @ 1:52 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I used Sawbill. Good people.  Theyre all good otherwise they couldnt stay in business.

Hungry Jack is another good one I used

Edited on 6/28/18 1:55 PM
Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 8:16 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

Just returned from Ely area. Launched at Burntside. Most nights was a race to find a good campsite.  Never again I'll stick to the less popular gunflint access points.  Too many permits and outfitters shuttling people in Ely. Great fishing around Ely though, bring leeches if they still have them. 

3 nights I'd go to crocodile lake for 100 plus walleye days and nice perch.   1 portage 3 hours of paddling set up camp done.  My go to fall weekend trip. Sawtooth best prices on gunflint side.  But you should have been there last week for walleyes.

Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 5:06 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Mr. P. Swede's got the right idea. After two days you turn them inside out and you're good to go for another couple days! Sylvania is good prep for a Canadian canoe outing. The big difference is the portages sometimes climb way up and others drop way down. If you go to Agnes you have to check out the falls. We had a blast swimming there. Traveling light was already mentioned. Don't forget your back country Canadian pass for the remote ranger's station. Buy the small book there on pictographs and check them out too.

Edited on 6/18/18 5:14 PM
Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 8:46 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Thanks for the input!

I think we're pretty much set on the Ely area, probably entry point 16 but nothing is booked yet. We want to fish Lake Agnes at least one day but will probably camp on a smaller lake and portage there to try and be a little more secluded. There's no way the bugs can be as bad as they were in Sylvania last year, we wore long pants and sleeves pretty much all of the trip. Dates are locked in for September 13-17th so hopefully the bugs die down a bit by then. Looking forward to it!

Post Your Comment
6/17/18 @ 2:10 PM
Windtalker89
Windtalker89
USER since 6/17/18

Ely is generally better for walleyes and Gunflint is better for lakers. There are exceptions of course, Saganaga, Seagull and a lot of the smaller lakes up towards the Gunflint do hold many walleye, but Ely is where I would probably go if i only had 3 days. Ely is also ~2 Hours closer than Saganaga or other lakes at the end of the gunflint, so if you only have a few days the extra time would really be nice. Don't forget bug spray if you're heading up in august!

Post Your Comment
6/7/18 @ 9:29 PM
bassball
bassball
USER since 7/25/07

I have used Williams and Hall before.  Good service and equipment.  Nice people.  They are located in Ely. You can access the boundary waters from basswood lake either through fall lake ( closer to town) or through moose lake ( 20 miles out of town but with a tow boat to save you time into the waters.) Basswood is like two different lakes one with stained water (fall) other clear ( moose.) You can camp on basswood and make a base camp and go to smaller lakes from it. A lot depends on how far that you want to paddle the first day if you are in for only 3 days. I would recommend calling a couple of outfitters in ely and they will give you plenty of solid advice to help with your choices.  Ely is a very cool little town.  Hope this helps.

Post Your Comment
6/7/18 @ 1:06 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09

And remember, you can get 4 days from one pair of underwear........

Post Your Comment
6/7/18 @ 12:31 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02

If you plan a trip with 1+ portages per day put everything you want to take on a table then put half it back in storage. Best advice I ever got about BWCA and unfortunately did not listen to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts