SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Big Muskego Future

3/4/20 @ 6:18 PM
INITIAL POST
don&george
User since 3/1/20

It seems that the concerns brought by members of lake link for the failed big Muskego bio manipulation project have been taken off of the fishing reports section.  

Therefore I am starting a new thread for a form so everybody can voice their opinions on the future of big Muskego’s fishery. 

The biologists want ideas let’s give them ideas.  

I propose that the sunset clause is ended and we go back to the way it was before the bio manipulation project was started.  

2-26” Northern limit and size.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts
3/27/20 @ 5:51 PM
Mr.Bass
User since 5/18/02

First off, I have no advanced degree in biology and fish management.  Next, I separate Bass Bay from the BM 'big lake'--due to depths, weeds, and size.  I have fished the 'big lake' since it was opened after the reclamation.  Then and now.  I base my comments on practical experiences averaging around 50 trips there each year.  Then 'outstanding',  Now 'disappointing'.  Are there still decent days on BM? Of course, but there is no comparison of present catches (especially in northerns) in the number and size of these fish.  

There may be a mixture of reasons for the decline: CARP are back in numbers, winter kill, mismanagement, the 40-inch rule, the changing make-up of the lake (weeds vs bulls).  

Someone made a great comment above, somewhat overlooked,  in talking about BM.  The beautiful lake scenes, the waterfowl, eagles, owls, and the lack of speedboat trafic all combine to make for some rewarding trips if not in the number or size of fish caught. I personally love fishing weeds, and BM has WEEDS.

I am 'all in' in ending the over-40 rule and going back to the Wisconsin State rules of  2-->26".    Frankly, the change back is long over-due.

Good health.

Attached is the largest northern I ever caught there--in Bass Bay.  42" long.  Photo taken by the only boat I could find on the Bay.  Fish Released alive after photo.  Taken in deep water the first year the lake was open.

3/8/20 @ 7:24 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

there's also the aspect of a place to fish and enjoy all the nature of the marsh... for the most part it's free of skiers, wake boats, speedboats...

It is a special place 

3/8/20 @ 6:47 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19

At least we can agree on being objective.  There are facts and there are opinions.  And you know what they say about opinions.

Anyone interested in seeing recently caught (within the last 2 weeks or so) pike and bass out of Big Muskego please watch the John Gillespie show from this last weekend.  Judge for yourself the condition of those fish.  Are they fat or skinny?  Runts?  Snakes?  Or a range of sizes?  Do they look healthy? Was it a decent fishing trip?

Granted, they probably had a lot of tip ups out.  But it is also reasonable to assume that all the fish they caught probably didn't make the show either.  Regardless, the fish that made the show and their condition really can't be disputed.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not out to make enemies over this.  We all want good fishing we just may disagree on how to make it happen and that's OK.  Cheers!

3/8/20 @ 6:21 PM
nihsif
nihsif

I think in this case, it has nothing to do with being a biologist

... but everything to do with years of experience on a body of water versus book learning 

I still recall the best fishing experienced of the 50+ years fishing the big marsh was when the biologists recognized a body of water that was apt to get freeze outs and essentially left it alone, with occasional stocking programs following the freeze outs... that was the minimalist management that appeared to work out for "everyone"... people that fished here knew it would freeze out occasionally and accept that... no one, at least that  I heard of was looking for some sort of trophy fishery, just a nice place to catch some fish, and leave alone after a freeze out and hit Wind, or Tichigan, etc....

3/8/20 @ 5:57 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Snake. Yup, And we all have advanced degrees!   Lol. CARPIO 

3/8/20 @ 5:35 PM
don&george
User since 3/1/20

Carpio i concur with you.  Couldn’t agree with you more.  

You are very objective.  

I’ve been objective for ten years too. 

I’m glad this forum has brought out concerned and objective fisherman like yourself that have the commonsense wherewithal to sort out facts of this fishery to fix it.  

3/8/20 @ 5:01 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Re read my post!!  I said I WOULDNT BE SUPRISED if they were spawning!  IF!   Didn’t say that they were.   I stand by my assessment that they were egg laden as opposed to having full stomachs.   Only some were bloated, the females.   Oh ya, I did watch the program.

3/8/20 @ 4:52 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19

Carpio, I'm sorry but your post conflicts with itself.  The pike can't be full of eggs and spawned out at the same time.  No mention of males or females releasing eggs or milt during the show and no video evidence of it either.  Watch the show and see for yourself that there are obvious fish in some of the bellies.

I'm just trying to be objective.   We should all try to be objective.  If you haven't watched the show you shouldn't be commenting on it as if you had.  That's all.

3/8/20 @ 10:44 AM
Carpio
Carpio

I think most people are mis- reading the conditions of the pike. The “ fat“ ones with “ obvious ” fish in their bellies were most likely females ready to drop their eggs.  The skinny ones were probably males.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they were already spawning. Pike are the first to spawn. CARPIO 

3/7/20 @ 11:00 PM
don&george
User since 3/1/20

That’s great maybe i’ll hire that guide and take Ben Heussner out and we’ll slay them!

3/7/20 @ 1:17 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19

Don and George, I was inclined to believe u until i saw the condition of the pike (and bass) for myself on the Gillespie show.  They were fat and healthy and obviously had fish in their bellies (at least several of them).   The guide on the show even mentioned it when it was obvious.

3/7/20 @ 1:02 PM
don&george
User since 3/1/20

An edited thirty minute tv show must mean the fishery is back to normal. 

Several 30” fish was the norm back in the day before the bio manipulation project.  My personal biggest was 35 1/2”.  In the last ten years my biggest was 32”.  Average was closer to 28”.  These numbers were first five years after the 40” inch limit in place.  Average went down this last five.  Pre bio manipulation project 30 flags per day post 5-10 flags per day.  Before the project the fish were filled with mostly bluegills and frogs.  Post project in the last five years most of the time the bellies had nothing in them.  So what happened to the bluegills?

Fished many jamborees on the bay and the biggest i saw was 33”.  

I live 10 minutes from the lake and fish minimal 10 days a month.  Nine tip ups out with my two kids.  

Again the straightforward question is, is the fishing better or worse because of the bio manipulation project?

My non-expert answer is not better.

3/7/20 @ 11:59 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19

Hmmmm I'm conflicted.  Was starting to somewhat believe some of this negative talk on here but then i watched Gillespie's show this weekend out on Big Muskego.  While they didn't catch any 40"+ they caught an upper 30" pike.  All the pike and bass looked to be well fed an in great condition!

If Gillespie can catch a slobo the rest of you experts should have no problems.

3/6/20 @ 5:06 PM
Carpio
Carpio

That sure was some great perch and Gill fishing!

3/6/20 @ 4:22 PM
nihsif
nihsif

my recollections of the best management of Big Muskego/Bass bay was no size limit on northern pike or bass... could catch 50 small pike in a day, with a chance at a 10 lber, nice avg size bass, and great perch fishing with some nice gills... not real scientific, but it was a great fishery... was left alone, essentially because of the possibility of the occasional freeze out

no one was complaining 

Keep stocking to give it a jumpstart 

might be worth a hands off approach again for the next 10 years and see what happens without over thinking.. plenty of other lakes to manage

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE