LOGIN
Lake-Link

Bass tournaments

5/17/20 @ 1:01 AM
ORIGNAL POST
SCALESnTAILS
SCALESnTAILS
User since 4/2/11

Tournament time, watching the “pros” pull fish off their beds,  running across the lake to the weigh in for some money and a trophy. How do you justify pulling spawning fish off their beds for a few bucks and bragging rights... 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/24/20 @ 6:35 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

We all have an opinion on this.I don't think it's going to change unless the state changes the regs.I think the fishing the spawn for most species has a negative effect.

I'm sure we all know of lakes where the panfish pop.get's raped every year until the 8in. gills are few and far between,same with the crappie.

If it's all done with in the law we have to live with it,like it or not.

5/24/20 @ 6:30 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

The bed fishing may (probably does) violate my ethics, but it doesn’t seem to have a significant biological consequence.  At least not in terms of social carrying capacity.

5/24/20 @ 1:45 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

kind of a personal choice,  ain't it?

...like xbows, shooting over bait,  etc etc and on and on

...it's hard to live and let live, but better than expecting everyone to feel what you think is appropriate... to them it might seem ignorant and arrogant 

5/24/20 @ 11:35 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Tournament or no tournament, bed fishing bass is wrong PERIOD.     As always IMO.     CARPIO 

5/24/20 @ 9:03 AM
Fish-Tails
Fish-Tails
User since 5/4/20

Great topic.  I personally enjoy fishing prespawn smallies in Milwaukee and Wolf Rivers and Door County each year since the bit is so amazing.   I just try to get my fix of bass catching at that point and then work at sharpening all my hooks off the water during spawning seasons. (or target non-spawning fish). 

https://youtu.be/hqfL6ZMPPcw

5/24/20 @ 5:40 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I love bed fishing and I'm all for it. But once the fish is caught, take a quick picture and a weight if you want and get the thing back in the water right where you caught it asap.

I was bed fishing from the shore yesterday. The fish I caught were out of the water less than 30 seconds.

I wish there was a way to do it MLF style where you weigh them right away, but there's no way that's happening for a local tournament.

5/18/20 @ 11:07 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

I get your point about disturbing the spawn, and although I enjoy watching others catch fish I aint watching it on television either.

That said, some good innovation along with a lot of claptrap innovation come out of "professional" fishing. Every salesman needs a gimmick, and the tournaments decide what gimmick might sell. But yeah, fish are going to die. Same as might happen  whenever anybody releases a fish. But it's comforting that most "professional" tournament fisherman know that a dead bass is pretty worthless- Good enough for fertilizer yet unfit to feed to barn cats. 

5/17/20 @ 5:51 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Like I’ve said sooo many times before on all kinds of different threads, follow the money .  Ego and testosterone don’t hurt either.

BTW, I’ll agree 100% with the legal vs ethical point.

5/17/20 @ 4:40 PM
SmallieReleaser
User since 6/24/01

Legal and Ethical as it relates to bed fishing are two very different things!

5/17/20 @ 10:17 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I’m not saying right or wrong either because the man before me said they are doing it legally. I don’t have a problem with it at all. They release all the fish, and are promoting the sport of fishing. Bass are like mosquitoes, there is plenty of them and they are a hearty fish.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.