SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Attacked By Monster Pike!

8/20/17 @ 7:33 AM
INITIAL POST
justinm
User since 5/5/02

Well this is the craziest thing to happen to me while fishing.  Before everyone says I dont know how to handle a fish I have caught many fish like this before and about 20 muskies all larger than this fish.  This was just one mean fish that had our number!! 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
12/8/17 @ 6:08 PM
pghmyn
User since 3/22/10
But Shane, that blood adds dramatic effect.
12/7/17 @ 9:12 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

I think I mised something completely, I never saw the "monster pike"

12/4/17 @ 12:56 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

suck it up buttercup!! Got a musky  5/0 hook in my pinky finger over weekend, "doctor" husband pulled out with pliers wrapped me up in a band aid kept fishing!!

Attacked By Monster Pike! photo by ice queen
12/4/17 @ 9:28 AM
latecatchr
PRO MEMBER User since 10/7/12

Really !!!!  I had to stop the video after you said you were really hurt bad and showed a picture of your hand. If you washed off the blood you probably would have a hard time seing the "scratch" from the hook. Go out and get a set it sounds like you need some

12/3/17 @ 7:00 PM
pghmyn
User since 3/22/10

I was hooked in the neck 1/2" deep with a treble from a crank bait. Friends bait caster birds nested and came flying at me. Still don't know how, but it is what it is. Just between my earlobe and jaw bone. Tip of hook was fairly close to my artery. Only reason I know that is because the ER the had do a quick surgery cutting and peeling away the muscle tissue the barb was embedded in.

Didn't realize that at the time of hooking though. I took the crank off, left the hook in and wanted to keep fishing. Stayed about 30 more minutes, then realized we were about a hour and a half from closest ER, so I decided to go.

Didn't make a video, but have a couple nice pictures.

12/2/17 @ 6:34 PM
bevans
User since 7/10/12

Dude,

You got stuck by a hook. Sorry for that, but to videotape the whole thing and act like you were shot during battle, really? Even the hospital trip? We've all been stuck by hooks and had them removed in one way or the other. I felt the most sympathy for your 13 year old kid. Not for the fact that he got stuck too, but for the fact that he had to be filmed side by side walking into the hospital next to an "adult" with a Band-Aid on his hand to get an stich or two on his "oweee". Really, man up next time, wash it off and have a first aid kit on board for you and your teenage boy.  

12/1/17 @ 3:13 PM
Uluaukea
Uluaukea
User since 4/19/16

First and foremost do not get a fish gripper.  Have seen them split the jaw of a fish too many times.  I dont care if they are the most expensive ones with the best swivel on them.  They are dangerous to a fish despite what any person says.  Second get the hooks out of and clear of the net before tring to handle a fish.  As this video proves, they can become a serious weapon when a fish starts thrashing both to the human and the fish.  Have seen fish hook their eyeballs while thrashing and the hook is still in the net.  Third, have a good bolt/hook cutter to make getting the hooks out of the net easier if need be.  Fourth have a good quality net that doesn't tangle easily.  Lastly, wear a fish handling glove and almost all cuts can be avoided. 

9/16/17 @ 5:30 AM
Annes Regret
User since 7/7/11
Fish cradle, wire cutters and a first aid kit. Could happen to anyone.
9/11/17 @ 2:35 PM
Herky
User since 6/12/03

That happened to me one time.  Ive caught hundreds of muskies and have never been biten never even thought about it.  Wife and I on the Teal River and I catch a 34" muskie.  Ive got it in the net in the bottom of the boat and i could tell that fish was watching me.  It was the strangest thing.  

The thought crossed my mind that he was going to try and bite me.  So i reach down to pick him up by the gill plate and that fish flops his head up lightning quick and bites me on the end of my right thumb.  Down through the thumbnail and to the bone on the other side.  I tried to pick him up a second time and he tried to bite me again.  Third time he just layed there like normal and i let him go.

Wife wrapped my thumb up with a papertowel and electricians tape and we kept fishing.  You know why? They were biting lol

9/5/17 @ 11:44 AM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

Dude, you need to get a fish gripper, don't every stick your hand by a pike or muskies mouth, not to mention you also risk getting treble hooks in your hand if using crankbaits.  Doesn't matter how many times you have handled a pike or musky.

8/20/17 @ 8:34 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

It happens, bro. I've looked like that 3 or 4 times. If I'm specifically going for pike or musky, I try to remember to throw a pair of gloves in the boat. But I usually seem to catch em on white spinnerbaits while fishing for bass, and no glove along

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE