MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Are we allowed to fish

3/23/20 @ 5:23 PM
INITIAL POST
marvin1965
marvin1965
User since 6/19/15

Do any one have a clear understanding  of the restrictions?

Called local bait shop he was opening he didn't know about tomorrow..

If we can go for a walk and keep social distance.. Can we go boating 

Displaying 70 to 79 of 178 posts
4/6/20 @ 9:01 AM
ToxDoc
User since 10/4/06

There were about 6 out of state rigs launching boats in Oconto Thursday and Friday.  Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois.  There were the usual number of Wisconsin rigs for this time of year (a lot).  Oconto closed the launch, but allowed shore fishing Saturday.  A little strange since boat fishermen don't usually get very close to each other, even when launching.  The breakwall had 20 people fishing on Friday, with a lot of people fairly close together.

Whomever shut down the launch in Oconto certainly didn't send those out of state fishermen home.  They just crowded Peshtigo and other launches.  If they really wanted to require social distancing, they should have closed down Kwik Trip, which was packed with people every day.  Pay at the pump only would have done more good people apart than closing the boat launch.  

I don't think many other boat launches will be closed.  There are a lot of County and privately owned launches around the State.  It would probably require a State emergency rule to shut all those down, which would be a big mistake imho.

4/6/20 @ 9:00 AM
prov
prov
User since 12/21/04

I just watched a news broadcast on a farm in wautoma and they are waiting any day now for all their migrant workers to arrive soon so they can work the fields and help plant everything to get the season started.They were talking about thousands and thousands going to farms everywhere north south east and west.This is way worse than anyone fishing and respecting the guidelines set out by the cdc.All of the migrants will be going to your grocery stores,getting gas and anything else everyone else is doing.In mexico they havent been practicing social distancing until very lately so good luck with that.I think alot of bad stuff is coming and if your worried stay home.I just dont get letting thousand and thousands of people to come into the states -that might have the virus.I guess they are considered essential but seems reckless.Fishing is probably the best way to social distance-now i dont agree with more than 2 in a boat but thats just my thoughts.If i launch my boat i wear gloves wont touch anything without them on-no piers no gas pump no food at grocery store.The mask is up to you but im probably going that route also soon.

4/6/20 @ 8:19 AM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

And the Yoopers would prolly prefer that folks from the Detroit metro area not come up anytime soon. ‘Course there are some Yoopers that would prefer they not come up. Ever. heh, heh. Even without symptoms it can still be spread. It’s just the nature of contagions. 

4/5/20 @ 9:16 PM
Islandpoint69
Islandpoint69
User since 12/17/16

yes im fishing in the U.P. but im not heading to detroit anytime soon. 

4/5/20 @ 9:05 AM
Net-Man
User since 3/26/20

Maybe I could jump on the out of state angler bashing if Wisconsin had fewer Corvid 19 cases then the surrounding states but.....

Maybe we should shut down all lake accesses except for the people that live on the specific body of water. I am sure some people would be happy with this also.

4/5/20 @ 4:07 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Um no, actually Oconto closed it boat launches because it was concerned by the amount of out of state's anglers and the dangers it could cause  to its community right now. It's all about the virus, thank you.

Years past it was not uncommon to see plates from many other states, I'm sure this year was no different, and it was just starting. Locals, even those outside the small community, can travel there from their home with zero stops other than the launch. Out of state anglers have to sleep and eat within their or somebodies community.

Any given year I fish several different states and welcome anybody to come here, I know how important the money it brings to communities is for them. Unfortunately this year the pain could outweigh the gain.

So take a deep breath, in fact go get some fresh air,  seems you are a little edgy.

4/4/20 @ 10:47 PM
Viszla-Terrier
User since 12/27/10

Bravo fishound, another great post revealing your apparent personal character. 

"State of WI needs to invalidate all non resident fishing licenses. Wish they wouldn't have even been selling them when all this has been going on. 

Stop the non-resident sale would be a quick way to end some of the influx of out of state anglers."

So your assertion isn't to slow the spread of this virus, but to keep those pesky out of state fishermen from invading your territory. It's easily perceived that you must feel this way all the time. I'm sure you have never travelled out of state for some type of recreation?

What about people from WI should they be able to fish in say,Canada? 

Clearly you have a shallow simple mind fishound, my sympathies.

4/4/20 @ 1:28 PM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

As this unfolds and with what I’ve been able to find, it strikes me that, with  some exceptions, the tracking of covid-19 is being done on a county by county basis. Seems to stand to reason that’s what we could very well see come about as being the basic definition of “in your community”. I know, I know...what about the fishin’ folk whose closest and usual fishin’ holes are only 4 or how-ever-many miles in the next county and the closest in their home county is over 10. Or for some other legitimate reason the county-as-community isn’t the most viable for some.  Unfortunately some sort of definition of “in your community” needs to be addressed for folks to be able to wrap their heads around.   Just no two ways about it being another train wreck on top of a whole bunch of train wrecks no matter what.   

Dave (Golden) is reporting his county closures in CO. Don’t think for a minute it can’t or won’t happen here. Especially with so many just blowing off the social distancing when it comes to piling into boats and/or having come from distances that by most sense and sensibilities wouldn’t be even remotely considered “in your community” in usual and customary context. 

I’ve not seen any updates in a few days about Winneconne’s initial restrictions on their fishing piers so hopefully that’s working through this crap so there’s at least some access for the locals.  City of Ashland has closed all their Lake Superior accesses. Including the beaches.

My doc’s office (FdL Regional Clinic located in St. Agnes Hosp) called yesterday to reschedule my 4-20 routine checkup. Earliest they’re re-setting routine appts is the end of July. I asked the lady how many c-19 hospitalizations are there. 2. She stated they’re estimating 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for it to ramp up there. So....I guess just because it may not be where you are, doesn’t mean it’s not gonna be coming. 

4/4/20 @ 10:30 AM
Net-Man
User since 3/26/20

Unfortunately for many the Governor's mandate only states that staying in your local community as a recommendation. The DNR does not have the authority to change this and mandate 10 miles, 20 miles or 50 miles as a traveling restriction.

The social distancing requirement however is the current law of the land. We would all be better off if they would enforce this instead of closing boat ramps.

There surely are too many people in boats not following this social distancing requirement which is unfortunate for those that are following the rules.

4/4/20 @ 7:17 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

State of WI needs to invalidate all non resident fishing licenses. Wish they wouldn't have even been selling them when all this has been going on. 

Stop the non-resident sale would be a quick way to end some of the influx of out of state anglers.

Displaying 70 to 79 of 178 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE