MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Anyone make/use something to help people get in/out of their boat?

5/11/21 @ 2:19 PM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

My father turns 83 this year, his hips/knees are getting the better of him, and a bout of shingles left him with nerve damage in one leg.  I'm looking for a safer way to get him in/out of his boat (18' Lund Tyee).

Was wondering if anybody has been down this road before, and what they've used.

Currently, we try to have 2 people along with him, one stands on the dock, one in the boat, helping his feet over the gunwale.  It gets trickier when it's just me with him.

I'm considering a pool ladder, one side shorter than the other to rest on the dock.  They have the handrails at the top but I'd cut one off so he can pivot and wouldn't have to try and lift his feet up so high as he turns to go down the other side.

Thoughts?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 20 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/13/21 @ 7:58 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

A few products:

Brian's Custom Steps  (Like John Gillespie endorses)

Ezeestep

Easy Step System

All three of these are pretty similar.  My opinion on these after watching the videos on them is they would not be an easy option for an elderly person to get in and out of the boat.  My dad is almost 74 and he wouldn't have the balance to be able to walk up these steps, and especially walk down them to get out of the boat.  It'd be much easier for him to just get on and off the boat from the dock, at least for my dad, but I'd use the product for myself.  Much easier than stepping on the tire and hopping in!

5/12/21 @ 10:43 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

The steps that gillespie's advertising are called Brian's custom steps a d I believe when they showed them on the show they had a hand rail built in

5/12/21 @ 1:42 PM
PJ1
USER SINCE 5/11/10

You might want to try and get in contact with the Fishing Has no Boundaries

folks they deal with all kinds of folks with disabilities and might have some products in mind.

5/12/21 @ 10:41 AM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

Lakeshiner - that may be a good option, too.  If I can get him in the boat while it's on the trailer, I can back him in and he can start it while I park............

I think I have seen them advertised before, would be very beneficial if they make a set with a hand rail.

5/12/21 @ 9:31 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

The only thing I remember seeing on Gillespie's show was for the custom trailer steps.  So you can climb up into your boat from the ground.  I don't recall seeing one for use once the boat is in the water already, unless I missed it.

5/12/21 @ 8:28 AM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

access unlimited

Here is a possibility.  Looks like a wonderful product but you would have to decide if its right for your situation - $6K.  I talked to one lady who had this machine anchored to the pier post at her cottage for her 150 pound son so they could take him boating. 

5/12/21 @ 7:55 AM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

This would be tied up at a dock.

Is the Gillespie device a mechanical hoist?  Need something I can grab out of the back of the pickup.

This is the pool ladder I was thinking about - would need to cut one side short to go on the dock, the longer end down in the boat.  Hand rails up top for him to steady himself (along with me steadying him).  Might have to cut one of the handrails down so he can get his feet over and turn to go down the other side.

Also would be nice to be able to add/remove a section on the short side depending on dock height.

5/11/21 @ 4:14 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER SINCE 5/6/16

Is the boat just tied to the dock or is it on a lift? With my grandfather about the same age we help him sit back on the gunwale. Then we help him spin a slow 180 and he can put his feet down in the bottom of the boat. This is when the boat is on the lift however. 

5/11/21 @ 3:52 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

John Gillispie has shown a product on his show, and I believe the product is made right here in Wisconsin.  Can't recall the name of it, but watch some of his shows and you'll see it.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 20 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.