MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Anyone make/use something to help people get in/out of their boat?

5/11/21 @ 2:19 PM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

My father turns 83 this year, his hips/knees are getting the better of him, and a bout of shingles left him with nerve damage in one leg.  I'm looking for a safer way to get him in/out of his boat (18' Lund Tyee).

Was wondering if anybody has been down this road before, and what they've used.

Currently, we try to have 2 people along with him, one stands on the dock, one in the boat, helping his feet over the gunwale.  It gets trickier when it's just me with him.

I'm considering a pool ladder, one side shorter than the other to rest on the dock.  They have the handrails at the top but I'd cut one off so he can pivot and wouldn't have to try and lift his feet up so high as he turns to go down the other side.

Thoughts?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 20 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/17/21 @ 6:13 PM
rattrpr
USER SINCE 3/9/11

pontoon. Im 65 and my dad is 90. I run a 195 alumacraft and kept my old pontoon for this very reason. very easy on and off. did many trips out of governor nelson state park with fishing has no boundaries, mostly wheel chair bound. we still fish together to this day on the pontoon.

5/17/21 @ 7:58 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

was thinking about attaching something like this to broom handle or whatever...

slide between the dock's boards and twist to provide a portable "handle" for most docks

portable dock cleat

another type

5/16/21 @ 7:17 AM
Gtuna
USER SINCE 3/26/04

Being disabled myself I.m going to explore a piece of pvc to go over posts on dock or glue a cap on and use a bolt through the cap to go inside the dock post. One lake i fish has foating dock so no problem ,high posts to grab. The other 2 are conventhional docks with posts ending at d0ck level.After falling of said dock onto boat and trailer decided I better do somthing to help myself.May as well work on somthing as Im still to sore to fish!

5/14/21 @ 1:33 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

...or, could use seat pedestal and seat frame to make some sort of "grabbing post" to help with balance getting in/out

5/14/21 @ 12:29 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

Can also use some Lumber to make a small step with velcro or non-slip stair tread to stabilize and make step into boat not so deep I know someone that did this or similar for their dad

This would be for entering the boat casting deck from Pier could also be used to make step from casting deck 2 boat deck less steep

5/14/21 @ 12:22 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

I thought of fashioning something out of PVC pipe that would fit in the seatpost of my removable seats could be used as a handrail for balance and more it's just in the thinking stage now but I think it's a viable idea something to lean on getting into the boat and stepping down

The idea is to have something made of PVC and part of it fits over the hole for your seatpost and then you put the seat back in

5/13/21 @ 11:09 PM
Old Blue
USER SINCE 5/13/21

When my late grandfathers were in their 80s, my Dad mounted most of the length of a snow shovel handle vertically on a dock to use as a handhold, which they both used. I imagine something similar could be mounted on a boat deck.

5/13/21 @ 10:45 AM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

We've been managing so far, but yes, stepping down is quite difficult, and if the dock is high, stepping up is quite difficult.

Most definitely need something with a sturdy hand rail - that's the only reason I'm leery about customizing the pool ladder.  I'd almost have to add on to the rail and make it taller.

We've tried sitting on the gunwale and spinning, but we need someone to support his back while the other one spins his legs - if it's just him and me that won't work.

Appreciate all suggestions.

5/13/21 @ 10:29 AM
Leechster
Leechster
USER SINCE 1/22/21

My father in law would still have a little trouble with the steps. I guess that’s why he gave it up all together. He’s ok with getting a pontoon ride. For some, once they get to edge of boat, they also have to get down and inside boat. This can also be troublesome for a few. It’s a sad state of affairs for sure. Would hate to see someone elderly take a fall off the top steps. It’s an issue for many out there. Good topic.

5/13/21 @ 10:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

That was my thought too.  They'd have to put in more steps if older people are using it.  If they really are custom built I would think they could make it how you need it.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 20 POSTS
Advertise here
Heading off on a solo adventure? A brief adventure with a pal? The Grizzly 15 is perfect for personal use or for shorter adventures. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly 15 Personal Cooler
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.