LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Any place they dont pull docks out of near milwaukee?

11/23/20 @ 12:45 PM
INITIAL POST
an_ders
User since 5/13/20

Just bought a boat and wish I could take it for a spin, tried a few local lakes last weekend (big and little muskego lakes, namely) and all the docks are pulled for the year!

Any place near milwaukee (Im in New Berlin) that I can take the boat for a spin at right now? Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
11/26/20 @ 6:45 PM
chrome-dome
chrome-dome
User since 4/4/13

Pewaukee 

11/25/20 @ 12:12 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

an_ders, here's a quick run down of how I solo launch and retrieve without a dock (I plan on doing some of these videos in the spring).

Launch:

Overall prep away from ramp (everything ready and unhooked except for winch strap).  Back in boat. Climb in boat, unhook, back off trailer.  Beach the boat and climb off (depending on where you are, your feet might get wet).  Usually I'll tie up to a tree near shore just to be safe.  Park my truck, get back in the boat, and start fishing! 

Retrieve (pretty much the opposite):

Beach the boat and tie to a tree.  Back in the trailer.  Load the boat (I prefer to power load, but most launches without a dock will likely be less developed so you might have to crank it instead - I take it on a ramp by ramp basis to make sure I'm not ruining everything (both on my boat and on the ramp).  Make sure winch and safety sharp are secure. Pull the boat out of the way and finish securing it for the drive home wishing I had more time to fish.

I have a bunk trailer... Roller trailers might be a slightly different process but the concept is basically the same.

Regarding the power loading thing, since I know people get passionate about it...  There's a big difference between a launch that usually has a dock (usually concrete pretty far back) and a place that never has a dock and might just be gravel and sand.  You can power load on the developed ones and not ruin anything, just don't hammer down on the throttle and you can do it without creating potholes. You'll likely still have to crank a little remaining slack.  Don't bother trying to power load with shallow or just gravel ramps. You'll ding your prop and ruin the ramp for everybody else.  The rule of thumb I use is the shorter the distance of concrete underwater, the less power I use and the more I end up cranking.  Try to picture where your prop wash would be in relation to the ramp and where other trailer's tires might be.  Trim the motor up to prevent scraping and keep possible prop wash upward instead of straight to the bottom.  I've used that concept for years and I've never left the ramp in any worse shape than I found it.

11/24/20 @ 6:51 PM
LOJ
User since 10/28/17

Nagawicka

11/24/20 @ 6:17 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Maybe Okauchee   ? In the past I know they were there Veterans Day .

11/24/20 @ 2:25 PM
an_ders
User since 5/13/20

@262 fishing

How would I go about getting it back on trailer? Seems like I’d have to be in the water unless I keep my car and trailer backed in. 

11/24/20 @ 1:51 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Don't be afraid to launch just because there's no dock. In fact, this time of year is probably the best time to learn/practice since the ramps likely won't be very busy. You never know when you might want to fish somewhere that never has dock. Then when spring hits, you'll have the confidence to launch before the piers are put back in! 

Having a partner certainly helps, but you could also do it solo.

11/24/20 @ 1:31 AM
an_ders
User since 5/13/20

Thanks for the tips, sadly usually alone as my wife has no intention on bringing our 1 month old out in this weather :) I’ll check the aforementioned lakes out, do you know of a specific launch name where docks stay in?

11/24/20 @ 12:36 AM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Bring a partner, and use waterproof boots.  Hop over the bow is the way the 2nd person gets in the boat.  Or boat launches like Oconto in Green Bay have sides that function like docks.  I believe Bender Park can function in that way too.  

But sorry, I don't know of anything specific.  But there are tons of us that fish in 18' boats without docks.  

11/23/20 @ 6:41 PM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

Nemahbin

11/23/20 @ 4:24 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

try Nagawicka lake, i dont know if they pull their docks at all , someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE