LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Any Lakes where you can use Largemouth Bass as Live Bait?

10/11/20 @ 4:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Just wondering.  I know some lakes in WI want to lower the bass population as they are competition for walleye.  Any lakes where you can catch and keep bass under 14 inches or catch and use them as live bait in that lake?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
3/10/21 @ 11:15 AM
Asleep at the Reel
User since 3/23/12

I recommend using a quick strike rig when using muskies for bait. 

3/9/21 @ 8:16 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Sorry.I did'nt mean to upset anyone.

I was wrong i will take a time out.

3/9/21 @ 8:08 PM
CHISEL
PRO MEMBER User since 6/19/01

Funny how people naturally think you can't use pan fish or game fish for bait. Years ago talked with a warden about it and his example was you could even use a legal musky for bait as long as it is part of your legal bag limit just as Phat Walleyes stated. One thing I do often is try to catch small perch and keep them to put on  tip ups or pole for walleyes. Seen them out produce minnows many times and tend to get bigger walleyes on them too. Can't get anymore of a natural forage than that.

3/6/21 @ 8:12 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

You can't use them legally as live bait.

3/5/21 @ 5:23 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

"Wanton Waste, yes the bass or pike is now part of your bag limit but you cannot simply discard the fish in the trash after using it for bait. By law you must utilize game fish. Are you prepared to take the fish home and eat it."

I searched the Hook and Line Regs and see nothing that states you cannot dispose of the fish or carcass, as long as it is not thrown in the water, or on the bank. Putting a carcass in the trash at your house is not either of those.

If someone finds a statement from the DNR Regs to refute this, please post this info. Thx.

10/16/20 @ 10:09 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

The biggest largemouth I ever caught, and the only fish I've kept as a trophy ,  had a 12 inch bass in its stomach.  Was 23.5 inches,  full of spawn and the bass in stomach,  weighed 7 3/4 lbs. So yes, they are definitely cannibals

10/16/20 @ 9:55 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Yeah.  I'd like to in the future.  Just wondering if there was any bodies of water around here where I could try...  It was a fun idea for a video, but I felt like it was not really a true test. I felt like if you watched that video, it wasn't kind of clickbaitish and I try to avoid that.  I want to try it for real, you know.

10/16/20 @ 10:42 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I don't have anything to add... just a question.

Are you doing a follow up to your cannibal bass video?  Instead of artificial baits that look like bass, maybe a true cannibal live bait episode?

10/13/20 @ 9:19 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I've kept and eaten largemouth bass often when I would fish in Canada years and years ago.  Maybe I didn't know any better back then, and I still don't know now, but I really like a bass fish fry.

10/12/20 @ 12:41 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11

Devil's Lake state park in Baraboo you can keep large mouth bass under 14 inches in length. 14 to 18 must be released. And I believe one over 18 can be kept.

10/11/20 @ 11:08 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Tiefsa, The entire Minocqua Chain (Kawaguessaga, Minocqua, and Tomahawk) are no size limit, at least this year they were.  Limits change all of the time, but more than likely they won't need to change the limits out there for bass.  I had a nice 17 inch walleye on out there this summer and a huge northern followed it to the boat.  Really cool watching that in clear water!  Walleye weren't legal to keep this year, catch and release only, but they have rebounded somewhat out there and might open back up next year.  I would not advise using a walleye for bait out there though.  Bass, help yourself, there are plenty in that chain of lakes!  Eat some too, they're delicious!

10/11/20 @ 9:49 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks for the info, and no, I won't waste any fish if I catch them for the bag limit and try them for bait.  I'd keep and eat a bass if another fish doesn't try to eat it.  Tomahawk Lake near Minocqua? I'll have to check that out next summer.

10/11/20 @ 8:04 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

any fish you catch that is legal can be used as bait,  that fish also counts towards your bag limit for that species 

10/11/20 @ 8:04 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Lol.  CARPIO 

10/11/20 @ 7:57 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

I see the use of panfish and gamefish as bait is now being promoted by a number of You Tubers. In lieu of this and the comments popping up across the web I suspect this will become more popular. However here is the pitfall no one is talking about.

Wanton Waste, yes the bass or pike is now part of your bag limit but you cannot simply discard the fish in the trash after using it for bait. By law you must utilize game fish. Are you prepared to take the fish home and eat it. 

I'm sure the Wardens will be asking this question very soon and you better have the right answer. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE