MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Any Lakes where you can use Largemouth Bass as Live Bait?

10/11/20 @ 4:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER SINCE 10/25/16

Just wondering.  I know some lakes in WI want to lower the bass population as they are competition for walleye.  Any lakes where you can catch and keep bass under 14 inches or catch and use them as live bait in that lake?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/10/21 @ 11:15 AM
Asleep at the Reel
USER SINCE 3/23/12

I recommend using a quick strike rig when using muskies for bait. 

3/10/21 @ 12:15 AM
The_mystery
USER SINCE 1/15/21

Make sure if you’re using musky for cut bait that the head and tail are left on the spine so an officer can measure it if need be. .  It will be part of your daily bag still. Excellent for big channel cats. 

3/9/21 @ 8:16 PM
CMunyon
USER SINCE 5/12/16

Sorry.I did'nt mean to upset anyone.

I was wrong i will take a time out.

3/9/21 @ 8:08 PM
CHISEL
USER SINCE 6/19/01

Funny how people naturally think you can't use pan fish or game fish for bait. Years ago talked with a warden about it and his example was you could even use a legal musky for bait as long as it is part of your legal bag limit just as Phat Walleyes stated. One thing I do often is try to catch small perch and keep them to put on  tip ups or pole for walleyes. Seen them out produce minnows many times and tend to get bigger walleyes on them too. Can't get anymore of a natural forage than that.

3/6/21 @ 8:12 PM
CMunyon
USER SINCE 5/12/16

You can't use them legally as live bait.

3/5/21 @ 5:23 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER SINCE 8/29/06

"Wanton Waste, yes the bass or pike is now part of your bag limit but you cannot simply discard the fish in the trash after using it for bait. By law you must utilize game fish. Are you prepared to take the fish home and eat it."

I searched the Hook and Line Regs and see nothing that states you cannot dispose of the fish or carcass, as long as it is not thrown in the water, or on the bank. Putting a carcass in the trash at your house is not either of those.

If someone finds a statement from the DNR Regs to refute this, please post this info. Thx.

10/16/20 @ 10:09 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

The biggest largemouth I ever caught, and the only fish I've kept as a trophy ,  had a 12 inch bass in its stomach.  Was 23.5 inches,  full of spawn and the bass in stomach,  weighed 7 3/4 lbs. So yes, they are definitely cannibals

10/16/20 @ 9:55 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER SINCE 10/25/16

Yeah.  I'd like to in the future.  Just wondering if there was any bodies of water around here where I could try...  It was a fun idea for a video, but I felt like it was not really a true test. I felt like if you watched that video, it wasn't kind of clickbaitish and I try to avoid that.  I want to try it for real, you know.

10/16/20 @ 10:42 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
USER SINCE 8/10/18

I don't have anything to add... just a question.

Are you doing a follow up to your cannibal bass video?  Instead of artificial baits that look like bass, maybe a true cannibal live bait episode?

10/13/20 @ 9:19 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER SINCE 10/25/16

I've kept and eaten largemouth bass often when I would fish in Canada years and years ago.  Maybe I didn't know any better back then, and I still don't know now, but I really like a bass fish fry.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Meet Grizzly Coolers. Made right here in the USA and loaded with features that can't be beat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Hard-Sided Coolers
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
The Rapala® Rain Jacket and Bib Series are built on high expectations, combining advanced technology performance with upgraded waterproof and breathable components for more extreme conditions. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala Pro Rain Suit
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.