SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Algae

8/12/22 @ 4:58 PM
INITIAL POST
fishies
User since 1/2/12

I'm looking for someone smarter than me....shouldn't be too difficult.  I'm wondering  when lakes turn green in summer if that green goes all the way to the bottom of the lake or is it just near the surface and held up by oxygen or CO2.  I suspect that it doesn't go all the way to the bottom.  If it did fish would never see a bait.  Maybe some smart person can address this.  Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
8/20/22 @ 10:28 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Its only a few feet, at least the pea soup type stuff. Fish Petenwell and its always moving based on wind. If you have electronics finely tuned, you can see where it thins out. Is annoying though because everything is green when fishing. 

8/20/22 @ 7:02 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

A guy I paddled with in Canada did SCUBA dives in recovery work. He said the murky water above the thermocline disappeared once he swam below it into the cooler water. Fish can still "see"in muddy stuff because of their lateral line on the sides of their bodies. It detects vibrations as small as a minnows' heart beat.

8/15/22 @ 11:24 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Fish bite at night in blackness, and in very dark tannin stained water. Why would algae be any different?

8/12/22 @ 8:13 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

From what I’ve read about algae blooms the green matter will be confined to the top few feet of water. Wind and wave action may spread it deeper for a short time but once the water calms it will work it’s way back to the surface. 

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE