MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

A trip to the driftless region...

6/10/21 @ 9:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

It was an awesome weekend of camping, fishing, and seeing live music in the driftless area of Wisconsin. I'm pretty new to fly fishing, so it was great to get a few more fish under my belt. 

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
6/16/21 @ 1:16 PM
wini
User since 3/27/06

It's amazing how many people have had no contact with the driftless area. I was fortunate in that my in-laws were born and raised in that area. We spent many a weekend walking the hills in that area, driving the back roads, and eating freshly made cheese. I eventually learned how to take back roads all the way to the Mississippi River, seldom seeing another vehicle.

We gathered walnuts and other nuts in the fall, fished the streams for trout and thoroughly enjoyed what each little town had to offer. There was a special restaurant as you left La Crosse that was in the middle of nowhere but served great food. I know it is no longer there, the result of a fire. 

The area is beautiful, especially in the fall. When you're in the Kickapoo Valley, you feel like you're in the foothills to mountains. Don't let those hills fool you, given that when I would hunt morels they seem to go up and up forever.

Fortunately, I still make it out there every opening day to fish the trout streams.

The only problem with that area is the lack of work. The locals have very little in terms of employment opportunities.

Thanks for the memories.

6/16/21 @ 11:41 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Glaciers did not plow over that area during the most recent ice age.

6/16/21 @ 11:17 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I'm going to ask a REALLY dumb question.  I went to UW-Platteville in the '80's and never heard of this area called "Driftless" until the last decade or so.

How did that term come about?

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE