SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

wood duck houses

3/9/15 @ 6:40 PM
INITIAL POST
ltrbuck
User since 1/25/11
Clean out or no? I have and have not. Seems like it does not matter to the ducks to me. Just looking for some opinions. Nice to see if they are being used or not and if the eggs hatched out or not.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
5/19/22 @ 12:56 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

All my houses are on galvanized steel 1 inch pipes.  I clean every spring ensuring no repairs are needed.  Plus they can smell pretty ripe if starlings break open unhatched eggs.  I have the occasional hooded that successfully nest.  No bufflehead that i know of but have seen a pair using someone else's house.

4/28/22 @ 3:32 PM
MallardAbuse
User since 11/18/04

The smaller, cream colored egg is the wood duck.

4/15/22 @ 8:58 AM
capt.spanky
User since 6/12/02

on the picture of two eggs, which one is the Wood duck

4/14/22 @ 10:43 AM
MallardAbuse
User since 11/18/04

Nesting has begun. A lot of merganser eggs this year.

wood duck houses photo by MallardAbuse
wood duck houses photo by MallardAbuse
4/8/22 @ 10:34 AM
Hogman2010
Hogman2010
User since 11/5/20

We put 2 up on the edge of our pond Wednesday. Moved here a year ago but wasn't able to get any in last year. Saw 2 males and 2 females in the pond this morning. Hopefully they find the houses.

4/7/22 @ 6:59 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

56 houses!!! That is absolutely incredible! God bless you. And I personally thank you for your HUGE effort. That is not easy to maintain that many. It's because of people like you and Duckwidow and others that the Wood Duck has made such a remarkable recovery in the last 40 years. Thank you again.

Jim

4/7/22 @ 10:37 AM
MallardAbuse
User since 11/18/04

Put out 31 boxes on Sunday. That brings my total to 56 boxes that i care for.

3/21/22 @ 6:37 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

Saw my first pair of woodies Saturday. Central Wisconsin, Green Lake Co. I have had owls in my boxes, don't know if they nest or just sit in them.

3/21/22 @ 3:32 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Duckwidow, I'm guessing you put all your houses over water as opposed to in or on trees, am I right? I would strongly suggest to anyone putting up boxes to mount them on galvanized poles over water otherwise you're just asking for problems from racoons or squirrels, unless you hang them in a flooded marsh that has dead trees. Incidentally, have you ever gotten any other species in your houses like Hooded Mergansers or Bufflehead?

Jim

3/21/22 @ 10:06 AM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Thanks for the responses.  I understand about dump boxes as I had one house that had 33 membranes in it meaning produced 33 littles ones.  I count my success based on the shriveled up membranes.  Last year just baffles me that I had at least 20 houses that had unhatched eggs where normally I am at 1 or 2.  I check my houses every year with new shavings and all holes caulked up.  Try to replace 3 or 4 old houses every year.  Might as well not put them up if they can get water in them as that acts as a sauna during those warm spells which can also cause unhatched eggs.

3/16/22 @ 6:42 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20

Some duck hens are just naughty girls.  When I was in my teens we raised Muscovy ducks.

Had a pair of hens and one drake to start. One hen would lay her eggs and then break most of them.  Then when she hatched out 3 or 4, she would abandon them to the other hen and go back for another round of breeding.  

And then repeat.  She did this for a couple of years and then was roast duck.  

3/15/22 @ 10:38 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I think they are just dropping baggage.  We had mallards by my Dad's business.  Sometimes 20 to 30 eggs . Almost like a litter box .

3/15/22 @ 9:10 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

I meant "subdominate" hens, not subordinate. I've read that egg dumping is a "survival strategy of certain ducks. The egg dumpers figure (as much as ducks can figure) that some other duck will take over the nest and thus ensure that some of the eggs will hatch. Of course that would only work if the eggs were fertile.

3/15/22 @ 4:21 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Duckwidow and Samfox--Those "dump nests" are puzzling. When you get boxes with 23 eggs in it you can be sure that that is what it is. I believe it is "subordinate" hens that lay in those boxes and have no intention of brooding. If I had a birdbrain (pin intended) maybe I could figure it out. I don't remember if there was bad weather last year at that time but I do know that one of my boxes hatched in July which is pretty late seeing as it takes about 2 months for the young to become airborn. Putting boxes 10' apart seems awful close. I try to keep them out of sight of each other or at least across the lake if I have them on the same lake or pond. Good for you Duckwidow  and others on maintaining so many boxes. I can't handle that many (I'm 72) but I wish there were more like you guys (or gals). I see so many boxes that aren't maintained or cleaned or are tilted way over. 

Jim

3/15/22 @ 2:38 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Jimbo and fin,  About 20 ish years ago when we were putting out more houses in our marsh that very question came up.  I had just watched a show about a guy that lived on a island on lake of the woods. He had 50 houses in his yard, including every 10’ mounted right on the house. Said he started with a few and just kept adding. Was a neat show, said he had been going at it for over 20 years.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE