Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

wood duck houses

3/9/15 @ 5:40 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ltrbuck
USER SINCE 1/25/11
Clean out or no? I have and have not. Seems like it does not matter to the ducks to me. Just looking for some opinions. Nice to see if they are being used or not and if the eggs hatched out or not.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

2/23/21 @ 4:31 PM
DuckSlayin88
USER SINCE 9/13/11

Interested in installing 2-3 of my own this spring. When is it "too late" to put these up or should I have done that in fall? I want to put a post in the water, but obviously ice is the problem. Appreciate any advice for a newbie.

2/22/21 @ 3:54 PM
jimbo55will
USER SINCE 1/17/07

You should definitely check your houses before iceout just to remove anything that might have gotten in over the winter. I clean mine out in August or September as many times some of the houses are used as "dump" nests. This means that maybe a couple or few hens have laid eggs in them with no intention of brooding them. I've taken over a dozen eggs (infertile) out of boxes in August. I've had Tree Swallows build over the top of the Woodies eggs and nest successfully. They'll often use a Woodie box after the Woodie chicks have left the box. You can put numerous boxes on a small pond but try to put them out of sight of each other. Incidentally, the reason some boxes become "dump" nests is actually a survival tactic. A dominant hen will try to brood all those eggs in one box even if she didn't lay them. Here is one of my boxes from last year where the hen laid a second brood and they hatched on July 4th. That would mean they probably weren't flying until about the beginning of September.

Jim

2/22/21 @ 8:37 AM
ToxDoc
USER SINCE 10/4/06

I checked mine on Saturday and was 1/2.  The empty one was on a pole that had bent 45 degrees so that might have been the problem.  I bent it straight and filled it with new bedding.  Woodies are 50% of what we shoot, so I hope the boxes are successful this year.  Can you have too many boxes on a small pothole?

2/21/21 @ 9:00 PM
duckwidow
USER SINCE 11/12/05

About that time to check the houses.  Last year was 18 for 31.  Hoping for continued success even though wood duck numbers seemed down again last year.  Anyone else have numbers of current year success?

4/18/18 @ 3:48 PM
duckwidow
USER SINCE 11/12/05

Success down to 10 out of 32 with 2 others having large clusters of unhatched eggs (1 house had 24 eggs unhatched).  I ask the DNR about the continual smaller amount of houses getting used.  They stated wood ducks are now using natural cavities more.  You can't make this up.  They literally state that within a matter of a couple years wood ducks are back to preferring natural over man made.  Personally, at least in my area, I think wood duck numbers are way down.

2/24/18 @ 6:25 PM
humble1
USER SINCE 11/30/09

Put in fresh shavings in the boxes and ran into this guy. Once the ice is gone he won't be able to get past the predator guard.

9/22/17 @ 7:36 PM
sh5469
USER SINCE 10/4/02

I clean mine out.  They're used annually but each year there is at least one egg that doesn't hatch and there is always egg shells and breast feathers.  Fun to make, helping the wildlife and always a guess to see if used or not.  Thanks for making them and maintaining them.  The ducks thank you too!

9/22/17 @ 3:37 AM
grizwald
grizwald
USER SINCE 2/6/09

Checked out the house i built out at the farm. Had some feathers in it. Must mean the are using it. Couldn't quite see the bottom. When I put it up I was standings on ice. Now it's knee deep water. Need to build more.

4/6/17 @ 3:02 PM
duckwidow
USER SINCE 11/12/05

won't hurt anything.  But she gets in the hole just fine.

4/5/17 @ 7:21 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER SINCE 2/6/09

figured on the front couldn't hurt. give mama woodie somewhere to hang on to better? all was made from scrap materials from work.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.