Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Why do you Waterfowl Hunt?

12/12/14 @ 7:55 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Shad
User since 8/27/01
As a long time die hard duck and goose hunter, I have seen a definite shift in why people hunt! Use to hear many people say, I got a couple which was great, but now all we hear is the limit of this or that? Is there more to killing in your hunting?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/21/14 @ 7:25 PM
870man
User since 2/13/02
Because,................that's what I was raised on.

12/19/14 @ 12:56 AM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
Because I have to. I have a lab that lives to go and I have a drive that makes me sick to my stomach when I miss a overcast day with a north wind. Also I eat fish once a week for the other 305 days a year so it gives me something else to eat.

12/16/14 @ 6:13 PM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
Hey all! After a crappy day where more innocent children have been killed, I got to read this! It brought smiles to my face to read your thoughts, all really cool! Yes duck hunting lasts from September to end of January somewhere if can travel!

Thanks for brightening my day and my lab laying at my feet also is priceless!

12/15/14 @ 11:34 PM
mud puppie
User since 8/12/10
This was my third year of waterfowl hunting and i love everything about it. The thrill of getting way back off the river and finding that perfect spot. The early mornings on the water with no one else around. Most of all i love sharing it with my three boys, my two older ones (8 and 9) came with me a few times this year and love it also. Then seeing my two year old petting daddys goose it is all priceless. Cant wait till next year.

12/15/14 @ 9:38 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07
I really didn't mean to get so personal and philosophical while answering this age old question of "why does one hunt" especially in this "modern age" when everything is either electronic, plugged in, internet-connected, and on and on. I never hunted ducks solely for the meat--heck, I'd had to be an idiot if that was the reason. That mallard would end up costing...well, you know what I mean. I can remember being out in the marsh one very early morning and seeing the Northern Lights dancing in the sky. Cows mooing in the distance. Barred owls talking back and forth with their "who cooks for you, who cooks for you,ah". The ducks occasionally giving a loud quacking. The muskrats and marsh wrens and wave upon wave of red-winged blackbirds that would come over at sunrise. The sound of widgeon whistling and cupping their wings and dropping down from a great height making a sound like an jet coming in. I always considered the day a success if I could turn a flock of mallards and have them come into my little spread in a pothole tucked back in the marsh. I did a lot of my hunting about 10 miles west of Watertown in the vast marsh where Mud Lake and Chub Lake are found. The Beaver Dam river area. I don't know if that area still holds ducks as I haven't been back there for over 15 years but everything used to come down that way--cans,bluebills,widgeon, teal, etc. I think the only kind of duck I didn't shoot or see out there was Oldsquaw (Long-tailed Duck, now).I would be interested if any of you still hunt that area and what it's like out there. I knew that river system pretty good back then. Maybe I should go check it out one of these days before the snows come and just look out over the marsh at twilight. Maybe when I'm out fishing that way. We'll see. Jim

12/15/14 @ 9:10 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Holy cow - where to start...

I used to wait all year for deer hunting, now I am lukewarm at best - duck hunting makes for a much more enjoyable day outdoors.

I love spending time with my son and catching up on what is going on in his life. Teens can be tight lipped about their personal life, but my boy seems to let loose in the blind - he always has. We talk about everything from his grades, to his buddies, snowmobile trips, and of course ducks. There is absolutely nothing better than watching your child make a dandy pass shot on a bird.

Also important is time with your buddies, and solving the worlds problems.

I love a thermos of coffee in the morning and being able to take a leak whenever I want. Way better than being in a tree and holding it for hours until you just can't take it anymore. I also love being able to move around, talk, stretch your legs, without worrying about whether or not the ducks will hear or smell you.

I love watching the sunrise and looking at your watch for the day to start. I swear some of the ducks can tell time. Can't tell you how many times they land in the dekes 5 minutes before opening.

I've never had 100 Mallards above me like you have 1fowlone, my personal best is somewhere around 30 to 35. They were all Greenheads too, not a hen in the bunch. I was every bit as excited as I was when a nice buck walked by my stand in my younger days. It was just awesome, they were completely committed, even after the shooting started some were still plopping in the water while some were already taking off. I'll remember that morning for all my days.

I love watching my buddies dog make retrieves and take hand signals - that is just awesome. My favorite retrieve was years ago, a Teal came in quick and I winged it. It landed out of range but could still swim just fine. Off shot my buddies lab, when she got close the Teal went under water and so did my buddies lab after it. Seemed like forever, but it was less than 10 seconds, and up came the dog with the bird. I thought that was pretty dang cool.

I love that the season is more than 10 days long. I love that after the first few weekends the yahoos pack up and leave town. I love afternoon duck hunts after a stressful day at work.

There is absolutely nothing I don't love about duck hunting.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
12/15/14 @ 8:40 PM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
Nice writing Jimbo. Yes the memories are why most do it, glad you did as well! If you ever want to get back into it, shoot me a message and maybe we can get that feeling back. But as you know, once you feel it, it is very addicting!

12/15/14 @ 6:50 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07
Thanks for the memories, guys. Tomorrow I turn 65 and I don't hunt anymore. Waterfowling used to be my burning passion from the late 70's to the late 90's and when I quit I missed it very much for the first few years, especially when those winds of November blew cold and nasty and raw. I had one buddy who I used to go with but he eventually got into more big game stuff which I wasn't interested in so I continued to hunt by myself and schlep all the gear that one needs for duck hunting. It got to be too much--that and getting up at 3.00A.M. and driving 50 miles with either my skiff on top of the '79 Chevy impala or trailering my Big Jon johnboat, not to mention the soaring gas prices! I had 3 kids that were getting ready for High School and I just couldn't justify taking 3 weeks vacation in the fall for my pursuit. (Looking back, it was quite selfish of me.) Luckily for me my wife stayed with me and I've been married now 43 years. I lost my oldest daughter to a motorcycle accident back in '95 and my passion and spirit went out of me for the hunting. I didn't hunt for some years after coming back from Vietnam (infantry) but eventually got back into hunting. I used to hunt during grade school and high school with my 2 older brothers, and we hunted everything, but I really zeroed in on duck hunting. A lot of what you guys said about the smells, sights, sounds, etc. in the blind really brought back the good memories.I could not ever explain to a non-hunter what duck hunting meant to me but maybe you guys did if any of them read these forums. Thanks again. Jim Starck from West Allis

12/15/14 @ 5:49 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Careful with that word pile. Even after you explain the context in which you used the term....it still does not sink in.

12/15/14 @ 5:13 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
the extremes of a three month season of fall, from 80 degrees and mosquitos to 20 degrees and ice on everything. love every second of it! chasing birds all over the county. scout, scout and scout some more. the unpredictable ness of where and why. the hunts that happen the same year after year with the right timing. coming home with a game hauler of birds that means it all payed off, scouting, scouting and scouting. the taste of fresh meat cooked rare and still quackin. watching the sun come up on marshes in the fog and that late season blizzard in snow camo, thats the my fav. oh yah, just to kill ducks and geese for all you haters! Big Smile

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.