Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

which boat?

8/14/16 @ 7:17 PM
ORIGNAL POST
creekcaptain
User since 8/14/16

If you were going to hunt Pool 9, which boat would be better suited?  A 1648 jon boat with a 25 hp or a 21 ft starcraft V-Hull that drafts about a foot with a 115 Johnson?   Thanks for any input guys. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/16/16 @ 8:38 PM
snipe n
User since 9/10/07

Really depends..   How well do you know pool 9.  It could be a very expensive learning curve.  Lots of stumps out there.  Some right in the middle of running sloughs.    If you like to hunt on land as long as you can hide the big boat that would work.  IF you want to hunt the open water and use 7 plus dozen or more decoys that big boat would work better. Waves and spray would be less of a concern.        If your hunting the small sloughs and ponds the 16 footer would get you around a little easier.   Guess more info of how many guys are you hunting? diver or puddler or both.  Which landing are you using to go to where.  From Cold springs to the west islands closest to Iowa are 2 to 4 miles of open water, same with Ferryville to west and south islands.

8/14/16 @ 9:29 PM
Tsquare86
Tsquare86
User since 5/10/10

Either could make your trips successful. I've hunted there with my 14' Jon and my 16' Lund. The boat I arrived with was based on where and how I planned to hunt on the pool. 

I understand that's a vague answer, but pool 9 is fairly diverse.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.