LOGIN
Lake-Link

What did you get mounted this year?

12/11/07 @ 2:01 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Scott2
Scott2
User since 7/7/01
Personally I currently have a nice mature drake bufflehead, and a nice drake widgeon at the taxi as we speak, just curious as to what others have at the taxidermist from the 07' season.

Scott

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 602 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/1/19 @ 11:46 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Decided to put another one in thefreezer. It's the biggest black duck I've ever seen or killed and I kill a good amount of black ducks every year. So figured why not add him to the collection.

11/28/19 @ 11:47 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

One pics of that birds belly.

11/28/19 @ 10:35 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Suspended, 

Thank you I did look at those 2 same pics. Also found a couple others that could work. I definitely agree it needs to be a flying mount. 

11/28/19 @ 7:55 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

Tr,

That's a beauty!.  I would definitely mount it also.  IMO should be some type of flying pose to show off all the uniqueness.  A couple of poses that could work below....

11/28/19 @ 7:14 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Got this guy today it was a nice Thanksgiving treat. He will look good on the wall. Just got figure out how I want him. He's got alot of white in him to show off even half of his belly is white.

11/14/19 @ 8:57 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

SuspendedMusky great stuff I love that golden eye on the rock I really like the lone feather lol. Yes good waterfowl taxidermist are hard to come by in Wisconsin. The guy I go doesnt do it full time anymore but he still takes in a good amount. It does take a bit longer to them back from him because he owns his own company. And also does work some work for cabelas and lodges. But his birds are top notch. 

11/14/19 @ 7:04 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

Thanks for that feedback Pete.

Tr carper,

In support of your comment regarding quality of great "in state" taxidermists and the Birdman, below are a couple of pics.  The one is a goldeneye I had mounted by a master waterfowl taxidermist from the Fox valley about 10 years ago (also have a very nice redhead and canvasback mounted by same guy).  He has since retired.  When my son shot a mature goldeneye a few years ago and wanted it mounted, I had not yet located another master WI taxidermist, so I sent his to the Birdman.  2nd pic is of my son's goldeneye.  On close inspection, both birds are extremely well done.

11/14/19 @ 6:01 PM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06

In 85, that was a good mount. We have come a long way since then. Manikins, artificial heads, acrylic eyes, casted eye rings, all easily purchased, and a far greater piece of work. Those feet aren't horrible for being almost 35 years old. I'd bet it was glycerin and formaldehyde, and there are people using it to this day, and many still using it for competitions, because the feet look very fleshy (which they are), because the glycerin acts as an emollient and the formaldehyde a preservative. 

11/14/19 @ 5:33 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

Pete,

I do believe most people, once they see those differences and are educated, understand what to look for and want that higher quality. 

I have a couple of photos below (taken today....lighting and angle are not the best) of the oldest mount I have at my home.  It is a wood duck from northern WI that I killed in 1985.  It was a "best of show" award recipient back then.  I keep it cleaned as best I can.  While a decent mount for its time, it was not mounted utilizing techniques you would use today.  This mount does not have a cast head and bill, eye lid liners, and definitely the legs and feet were not injected to stop shrinkage (can see that in one of the pics).

11/14/19 @ 3:07 PM
Pete-pec
User since 4/2/06

Musky, those things he does extra, are the things that take time, and set people apart. Once the customer gets educated, perhaps they can then learn to appreciate those things they once looked past? 

Feet are something I take great pride in. Shrunken feet or incorrectly painted feet ruin a mount. I have plenty that are turds, and I've been purging my collection because of it. Like in the past 3 years, I have tossed 100 mounts, and I'll toss more lol. Here are some recent feet injected and painted. Yes, I remove them for a better result. Some feet you'll never see, and in this teal trifecta, they are actually hidden up under the tail, but I still want them to be correct. Masters Blend is an injectable polymer that plumps them, and makes them solid. Here is a green-winged teal, cinnamon teal, and a pair of shoveler feet, injected, posed, and painted. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 602 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.