Lake-Link

Swan Hunting in Wisconsin

1/25/14 @ 3:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Everyone,

We have an opportunity to get the ball rolling on a swan season here in Wisconsin. A question asking for one will be on the spring hearing ballot this April 14th.

Waterfowlers need to come together and vote yes for this question. Even if you personally do not want to hunt swan, why not help the fellow waterfowler out and give some additional opportunity to hunt. All you need to do is attend you hearings are vote yes.

You can also submit resolutions at your home county meeting if you so chose to do so. You may have another idea as far as waterfowling goes this is the time to present it.

We have a unique situation here with swans in Wisconsin. Why not take advantage of this opportunity.

Too much fighting back and forth amongst field and water hunters, puddlers and divers. Let's join up and work together for something for a change.

If you have any specific swan questions or questions regarding submitting resolutions to the congress, please feel free to message me.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 63 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/26/14 @ 8:50 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Only thing stopping it is the fact they are listed as protected in the state. Feds don't have an issue with it. Feds do have an issue with cranes. Cranes that can not be compared to cranes out west which are 2 different subspecies, unlike the swans which are the same swans already being hunted on each side of us.

12/26/14 @ 8:24 PM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
Good Luck with your Swan adventure!

12/26/14 @ 3:31 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
You can advocate for a daily bag crane season in Wisconsin. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

12/26/14 @ 7:30 AM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
Go for it! If you want to hunt swans by all means push for that, but there are far more cranes than swans hands down. I have hunted both and truly enjoy Crane as they taste good and fun to decoy. Swan, while I thought it would be great, after I decoyed and shot, was not what I expected and will not do that again, but guys who I hunt with love to do it, good for them, not just my cup of tea!

I advocate for a Crane season as a daily bag which allows everyone a hunt rather than a tag, and you seem to go for Swan, hope you get that! In reality, getting a Swan season in Wisconsin is more realistic than a Crane!!

12/26/14 @ 3:55 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Should we hunt elk or deer or wolves? Why? Just because it's in the woods do we need to kill it? Maybe we should have a badger season?

Why should we keep bluegills, crappies and perch? Do we need to harvest every species of fish that swims?

See how stupid that argument is?

The same swans (which number over 100,000) that are hunted in the dakotas, pass through wisconsin and then get hunted again in North Carolina.

Why not get in on the action if they are already being hunted?

12/25/14 @ 6:51 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
If there is a sustainable amount to harvest, why not allow it? Just because someone makes the choice not to doesn't mean the next person who chooses to do so is in the wrong. I personally know of a refuge in the central flyway that winters 160,000 + or - of sandhills, that is just one refuge and doesn't include the 1000's that stay outside of the refuge. There is no shortage of them and they don't go to waste when harvested. Swans aren't as plentiful but with regulated hunting can maintain a healthy population.

There are a lot of animals that I could hunt but choose not to based on personal presence not to but that doesn't mean the I think the next guy shouldn't either. Frankly I really don't care what anyone kills or catches as long as it is done legally and sustainably. In general revenue generated by hunting benefits that particular animal in the long run.

12/25/14 @ 6:31 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Why not add a Blue Bird season while your at it? I do not understand the need or desire to shoot everything that takes to a wing. I am no tree hugger, but isn't there already enough stuff to shoot at without starting with swans and cranes? Too each his own, but I think some things should just be left alone. Just my two cents....I bet those blue birds would taste like chicken.....

12/24/14 @ 6:15 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Cranes here would be just like in Tennessee and Kentucky. I believe Kentucky has 500 tags total with 250 people getting 2 tags for the season. It will not just be a daily bag.

12/24/14 @ 4:24 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I highly doubt there would ever be a season and daily bag limit on cranes in WI. Perhaps a season with a few tags per season per hunter with a quota on harvest. WI doesn't have the flight of cranes that the central flyway has. Add to the limited number of birds and how they react to hunting, few will be successful and it won't keep anyone's attention long. I'm not against it but don't see it being overly popular or productive either.

Considering that doves were almost impossible to get a season for I don't foresee a crane or swan season in WI in the near future. In WI the antis are far more outspoken than those that would participate in hunting either of those birds.

12/24/14 @ 3:54 PM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
If Crane hunting was allowed, it would not be a tag system as Swans are, just a season with set days and amount of birds per day, so it would benefit any hunter willing to purchase the add on tag just as in other states.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 63 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.