LOGIN
Lake-Link

Duck Hunting From Kayak??

9/15/14 @ 11:44 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Anyone ever tried doing this on Lake Michigan? I hunted layout boats years ago and was thinking if trying it in my camouflaged fishing kayak.

Anybody ever done it? If so, advice would be greatly appreciated!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/18/14 @ 1:42 PM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Okay guys, took my kayak out into the harbor last night for some fishing. This was my first time out on the big pond and I can officially say I agree with you. I just wouldn't feel safe. It would have to be dead calm for me to even consider it.

Thanks for the input!

9/16/14 @ 10:07 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
the real crappy thing about them is they are so tippy...you basically have one direction to shoot and following a bird is damn near impossible. Guy fish out of them yes but movement is to a minimum fishing and they often fish in minimal amounts of clothing....tip with all the clothing and youre screwed.

9/16/14 @ 10:04 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Wouldnt do it on michigan...just too dangerous in my opinions...

Made a blind for my bright orange kayak...worked well until I went past some brush...pulled the whole pvc contraption apart.

Even more comical...dont cross 65 yards out from someone hunting in a slough in 2 inches of water (had no choice as there was only one way out). The kayak sinks right into the mud and you look like a fool in knee deep mud struggling to get past....to top things off the ducks that werent there all day long decide to come in at that time...of course with you standing and pissing and moaning the birds flare every time!

9/16/14 @ 9:31 PM
cherokeeblind
User since 10/25/08
You could build and attach floats (as long as the kayak) each side, that would make it very stable. But all the cold weather gear you will have on you might not fit comfortably in the seat. I definately would not venture to far out.

9/16/14 @ 2:37 PM
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
imo I wouldn't ducks not worth the risk,,,, but then again hey go for it, if you need to. Speechless

9/16/14 @ 12:49 PM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Guys fish out of kayaks on Lake Michigan all the time so I am not sure what additional concerns there would be to be out there hunting? Obviously you have to be very selective on the days you choose to be out there based on wind direction.

I hadn't thought about the anchor issue, not sure why the inner tube system we use to use on layout boats wouldn't work for my kayak.

9/16/14 @ 8:32 AM
team_starcraft
team_starcraft
User since 9/25/02
Kayaks are great tools for any waterfowler. They are great in the marshs and rivers. But seriously, they are not big water vessels. Look up the size demensions on a layout vs a kayak. There sandbars off pensaukee and oconto shoal if u wanted to try it. But stay off the big water. Far too dangerous.

9/16/14 @ 7:51 AM
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
safety would be a concern yes, I think unless it was super flat calm out, if you are double anchored with any kind of a chop a kayak would not roll or ride the waves good enough like a layout does. albeit like I said maybe on a calm day you could paddle out and sit or maybe pass shoot at flocks as well.

9/15/14 @ 7:19 PM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Could you elaborate on that a little bit? Is your concern safety? Or is your concern not being concealed enough?

9/15/14 @ 6:53 PM
CPRMASAP
User since 11/9/04
A kayak is not a layout boat. I wouldn't try hunting the way you hunted out of a layout with a kayak.

^^^This needs to be said again.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.