LOGIN
Lake-Link

custom decoy mods

11/27/15 @ 5:30 PM
ORIGNAL POST
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
so was debating gettin some goose sleepers, but just cant swing it right now. so i took a couple higdon full body strectch neck feeders that had no feet and one was cracked. cut the neck two times and created two awsome looking sleepers! lets see some creations!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/22/15 @ 8:35 AM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
Been carving my own decoys now for 3 years. Started doing this because the only decent diver decoys in my eyes are g&h and herters. Don't make herters anymore and g&h are getting to be to pricey. First couple batches have been burlapped now trying restle coating. Use insulation foam glued together with trex decking for keels. Either carve the heads for sleeper dekes out of foam or out of bass wood for heads. Pretty awesome killing ducks over decoys you have made. It's really not hard to do.

11/28/15 @ 9:09 PM
wijohnson
wijohnson
User since 11/7/14
I used Rustoleum flat white primer and flat black primer for the bodies. Rustoleum flat black primer for the heads with Rustoleum sunburst yellow gloss for the eyes. I used Valspar steel gray for the bills. I like the idea of burlaping them but have never done that. The videos I've seen don't make it look all that hard. Might be a good off season job.

wijohnson

11/28/15 @ 7:15 PM
betterthanlead
User since 10/3/15
Which brand and type of paint do y'all use? Have to be a flat I suppose. This is going to be a project I start in a week before putting the dekes away for the winter.

11/28/15 @ 9:08 AM
Brad
User since 6/19/01
Not exactly on topic, but...

I can touch up bluebills and re-flock geese, but I have nowhere near the amount of talent to clean up mallards. I'm thinking about giving the skins from fowl factory a try. Has anyone here seen these in person?

11/28/15 @ 8:58 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
here are some drakes i touched up earlier this fall use spray cans and brush. only blocks i use anymore other then my geese.

11/28/15 @ 8:35 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Nice looking paint job!! I've got a bunch of mallard and blue bill decoys to repaint this winter. Any recommendations on paint kits and/or techniques ?

11/27/15 @ 9:10 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
always good feeling to hunt over blocks you've created or painted. the best is when it works! Wink

11/27/15 @ 8:31 PM
wijohnson
wijohnson
User since 11/7/14
I took my dad's old Herters decoys and gave them a new paint job. I shot ducks over them as a kid and again a couple of weeks ago after the repaint. Pretty cool to be able to do that; at least in my book.

wijohnson

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.